Baseball, Sports

Miami avenges loss to Bethune-Cookman, wins 6-1

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night's game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night’s game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Javi Salas shut down Bethune-Cookman for seven innings on Wednesday, and the Canes avenged a loss to the Wildcats earlier this year with a dominant 6-1 victory.

The junior right-hander kept the Wildcats in check, and Miami had no trouble getting on base at the start.

Miami appeared to have early momentum, with Alex Hernandez lining a double and Chantz Mack getting hit by a pitch before David Thompson stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the first.

But when Thompson lined out, the Wildcat rightfielder’s errant throw trapped Hernandez on the base path. He was caught and tagged out to end the inning.

Bethune-Cookman starting pitcher Ali Simpson escaped several threats from an active Miami lineup, and the Canes struggled to build run support for Salas.

Poor base-running again took its toll when Tyler Palmer was picked off after hitting a leadoff single in the third. The Canes still managed a rally before the inning was over – Alex San Juan knocked an RBI double to put Miami on the board, 1-0.

Salas, 4-4 as the midweek starter this season, gave up one unearned run in his seven innings of work. He struck out four and allowed four hits as the Hurricanes began their five-game homestand.

Miami is 19-8 at Mark Light Field this year, an impressive home record that will be put to the test during the rest of ACC play.

Michael Austin turned in three strong innings of relief pitching for the Wildcats (23-19). He replaced Simpson after eight straight balls to open the fourth. Austin, a freshman, then walked Thompson with the bases loaded, but the run was charged to Simpson.

The Canes (25-15) rode a 3-1 advantage into the eighth, when they added three more runs. San Juan finished with four hits, a career high.

No. 20 Clemson will visit Coral Gables for a weekend series starting 7 p.m. Friday.

About Author

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...