Baseball, Sports

Miami avenges loss to Bethune-Cookman, wins 6-1

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night's game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night’s game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Javi Salas shut down Bethune-Cookman for seven innings on Wednesday, and the Canes avenged a loss to the Wildcats earlier this year with a dominant 6-1 victory.

The junior right-hander kept the Wildcats in check, and Miami had no trouble getting on base at the start.

Miami appeared to have early momentum, with Alex Hernandez lining a double and Chantz Mack getting hit by a pitch before David Thompson stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the first.

But when Thompson lined out, the Wildcat rightfielder’s errant throw trapped Hernandez on the base path. He was caught and tagged out to end the inning.

Bethune-Cookman starting pitcher Ali Simpson escaped several threats from an active Miami lineup, and the Canes struggled to build run support for Salas.

Poor base-running again took its toll when Tyler Palmer was picked off after hitting a leadoff single in the third. The Canes still managed a rally before the inning was over – Alex San Juan knocked an RBI double to put Miami on the board, 1-0.

Salas, 4-4 as the midweek starter this season, gave up one unearned run in his seven innings of work. He struck out four and allowed four hits as the Hurricanes began their five-game homestand.

Miami is 19-8 at Mark Light Field this year, an impressive home record that will be put to the test during the rest of ACC play.

Michael Austin turned in three strong innings of relief pitching for the Wildcats (23-19). He replaced Simpson after eight straight balls to open the fourth. Austin, a freshman, then walked Thompson with the bases loaded, but the run was charged to Simpson.

The Canes (25-15) rode a 3-1 advantage into the eighth, when they added three more runs. San Juan finished with four hits, a career high.

No. 20 Clemson will visit Coral Gables for a weekend series starting 7 p.m. Friday.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...