Baseball, Sports

Miami avenges loss to Bethune-Cookman, wins 6-1

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night's game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night’s game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Javi Salas shut down Bethune-Cookman for seven innings on Wednesday, and the Canes avenged a loss to the Wildcats earlier this year with a dominant 6-1 victory.

The junior right-hander kept the Wildcats in check, and Miami had no trouble getting on base at the start.

Miami appeared to have early momentum, with Alex Hernandez lining a double and Chantz Mack getting hit by a pitch before David Thompson stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the first.

But when Thompson lined out, the Wildcat rightfielder’s errant throw trapped Hernandez on the base path. He was caught and tagged out to end the inning.

Bethune-Cookman starting pitcher Ali Simpson escaped several threats from an active Miami lineup, and the Canes struggled to build run support for Salas.

Poor base-running again took its toll when Tyler Palmer was picked off after hitting a leadoff single in the third. The Canes still managed a rally before the inning was over – Alex San Juan knocked an RBI double to put Miami on the board, 1-0.

Salas, 4-4 as the midweek starter this season, gave up one unearned run in his seven innings of work. He struck out four and allowed four hits as the Hurricanes began their five-game homestand.

Miami is 19-8 at Mark Light Field this year, an impressive home record that will be put to the test during the rest of ACC play.

Michael Austin turned in three strong innings of relief pitching for the Wildcats (23-19). He replaced Simpson after eight straight balls to open the fourth. Austin, a freshman, then walked Thompson with the bases loaded, but the run was charged to Simpson.

The Canes (25-15) rode a 3-1 advantage into the eighth, when they added three more runs. San Juan finished with four hits, a career high.

No. 20 Clemson will visit Coral Gables for a weekend series starting 7 p.m. Friday.

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...