National News, News

Chavez’s successor stirs election controversy

Freshman Veronica Lopez and her family left Venezuela when she was 3 years old. In the 15 years she has lived in this country, she has visited Venezuela three times. The last time she visited was nine years ago.

“We left because my dad feared the government and what could happen,” Lopez said.

Now, due to the recent election results, Lopez may not be returning anytime soon.

After former President Hugo Chavez died in March, he hand-picked Nicolas Maduro to lead the country as his successor.

Election results announced this week named Maduro as the legitimate winner of the election, but opposition candidate Henrique Capriles has “presented a series of allegations of vote fraud and other irregularities,” the AP reported.

The AP also reported “Maduro was declared the winner by 262,000 votes out of 14.9 million cast, and Capriles contends the purported abuses add up to more than Maduro’s winning margin.”

Members of the opposition party have demanded a recount, but Maduro, who first agreed to a recount, has now expressed his adamant position against conducting a recount of the votes.

“It’s a difficult situation, because the vote was so close that it really needs to be recounted in order to make Maduros’ declared election victory more legitimate,” said Susan Purcell, director of the center of hemispheric policy at UM. “If I understand correctly, the constitution allows for a recount in certain cases, but I think in this case it fits.”

According to Purcell, the fact that Maduros first agreed to a recount of half of the votes and later to none of the votes, calls to question the accuracy of the vote counts.

“It feeds into the idea that maybe Caprilles maybe did win, because they seem to be afraid of recounting the ballots,” Purcell said.

According to Purcell, other facts make her doubt that Maduros really won the election legitimately.

“The minister of defense came out before the election and said the armed forces will not accept an opposition victory,” she said. “That again raises questions about how democratic this situation really was. I guess I just think that all the rumors I’ve been hearing are that people are very skeptical when you have such a small margin and the regime refuses to recount and also declares beforehand that they won’t let the opposition win. It adds credence to the idea that they somehow manipulated the outcome.”

Overall, Purcell believes the entire situation will only worsen the country’s economy.

“I think it’s a very difficult situation,” she said. “The economy is deteriorating, and I have my doubts as to whether the economic policies that a Maduro administration would pursue would stop the deterioration. It might even accelerate it.”

Lopez expressed her sentiments regarding the current situation in her home country.

“Based on the elections outcome, I’m really hurt and upset,” she said. “Based on the situation in the country, I’m really worried about the state of the country and the people.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...