Edge, Reviews, Theater

The Addams Family brings ghoulish delight to Broward

The Broward Center for Performing Arts is getting a spooky makeover.

“The Addams Family” is playing at Broward from April 15 to 21 and audiences are in for a ghoulish treat. The musical brings to life Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Lurch and other characters from Charles Addams cartoons, which have also been featured in various TV shows and movies.

In this rendition, daughter Wednesday has fallen in love with a relatively normal boy, Lucas Beineke, and hopes to marry him. She arranges a family dinner between her kooky clan and his and typical Addams family hijinks follow.

“The Addams Family” is by no means a Broadway classic and the story is a predictable romance, but the musical still manages to puts the fun in dysfunctional. The jokes were a nicely balanced mix between comedy fit for the entire family and more coarse humor for adults. The carefully designed set successfully captured the creepy essence of the Addams’ mansion and the costumes paid homage to the original characters drawn up by Charles Addams.

Jennifer Fogarty shined as the tortured Wednesday Addams, who must figure out how to pursue her own love life without tearing apart her family. Fogarty’s solos are powerful and moving but still true to character. Dan Olson was a silent delight as Lurch, the undead butler, and Keleen Snowgren was eerily elegant as the matriarch Morticia Addams.

So head over to the Broward Center for an ooky, spooky trip into the world of one of your favorite Sunday cartoon.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...