Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports briefs: 4/15

Baseball

Miami went on the road to College Park this weekend and took two of three games from the Maryland Terrapins.

Chris Diaz turned in a solid outing on the mound Friday night, but it took the Hurricanes 13 innings to secure a 1-0 win. Freshman Brandon Lopez knocked in the winning run with a two-out single in the top of the last frame.

Eric Nedeljkovic entered as Miami’s fourth relief pitcher, and his scoreless work to close the game earned the senior his seventh save this season.

On Saturday at Shipley Field, David Thompson anchored the Miami lineup with timely hits in a 5-3 win.

Thompson – who crosses home plate for the only run in the series opener – launched a home run and a two-run double during his three-RBI performance.

The Hurricanes used another quality start from Bryan Radziewski (six innings, two earned runs) to clinch the series over the Terps.

However, Maryland (19-17, 5-13 ACC) prevented a sweep with its 7-2 win over Miami (24-15, 8-10 ACC) on Sunday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team rode a long winning streak into Friday’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, but the Tar Heels were too much for No. 10 Miami to handle.

Carolina grabbed the doubles point after Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar lost a 9-8 thriller. The Canes’ third tandem had several match points during the two-hour set.

Bolivar took the first singles point with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Tessa Lyons, but the top-ranked Tar Heels did not surrender another singles match.

Miami rebounded quickly, though, rounding back into form with a shutout of No. 9 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Clementina Riobueno engineered the best singles performance of the day. She took a 6-4, 4-3 lead on Duke’s Marianne Jodoin before the Canes clinched the win and the match went unfinished. Jodoin had won 21 straight.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...