News Briefs: 4/15

Orange Fest

Applications for a position on the Orange Festival Executive Board are being accepted until 5 p.m. Friday. The Orange Festival is an annual campus-wide event in March to celebrate the orange tree, the inspiration for the university’s colors. The day celebrates UM’s history and the importance of various traditions. Applications can be found at tinyurl.com/OFestApp2014 and emailed to UMOrangeFestival@gmail.com.

Locks of Love

The Volunteer Link is hosting Locks of Love on Monday in the University Center beginning at 10 a.m. Students can sign up for a haircut at thevolunteerlink.com/schedule.php. There are limited spots still available, and walk-ins will be accepted on a space-available basis. Haircuts are free for students who donate six inches of hair or more. Otherwise haircuts are $10 for males and $15 for females.

Basketball

Category 5, the spirit programming board, is hosting a Men’s Basketball Thank You Ceremony 8 p.m. Wednesday on the Rock. Students are invited to come out for a video presentation with all the basketball players and coaches. The team will be presented with a plaque and a basketball signed by the students in attendance to give the basketball team recognition for a historical season.

Sharks

Dr. Neil Hammerschlag, shark researcher and UM professor, spoke with the host of Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet show on Thursday about the university’s shark research with the R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program. He discussed the social interactions of white sharks when they scavenge on whales.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.