Community, News

Wendy Walk carries legacy of liposarcoma fighter

Wendy Landes, the symbol for the annual Wendy Walk that raises funds for liposarcoma, passed away this March.

“She was an incredible human being,” said Alex Norton, a member of the Wendy Walk executive board. “She lived life to the fullest and never pitied herself.”

A memorial service for Landes will be held before the walk begins at 11 a.m. Sunday in Palm Island Park in Miami Beach. With 400 participants already pre-registered, Norton anticipates that 700 participants will attend compared to last year’s 500 participants.

The Wendy Walk and the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative are the only two international efforts that raise money for liposarcoma research. Liposarcoma is a rare form of tissue cancer that results in the growth of malignant soft tissue tumors, usually in the abdominal cavity and extremities. The disease has no cure, but its symptoms are treatable.

The walk is held annually in New York City, Los Angeles and Miami. Landes’ three kids each lead one of the three walks. Senior Jackie Landes hosts the Miami run and won the UM Student Distinction Award for her efforts in Wendy Walk. Throughout the walk’s four years, the siblings have raised $1.3 million.

“We’re more determined to make it bigger,” Norton said. “We’re fighting for Wendy’s memory and the others who live with liposarcoma.”

Free transportation from Stanford Drive will be available for students attending the Wendy Walk. The results of a silent auction will be announced at an after party in Brickell.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...