Community, News

Wendy Walk carries legacy of liposarcoma fighter

Wendy Landes, the symbol for the annual Wendy Walk that raises funds for liposarcoma, passed away this March.

“She was an incredible human being,” said Alex Norton, a member of the Wendy Walk executive board. “She lived life to the fullest and never pitied herself.”

A memorial service for Landes will be held before the walk begins at 11 a.m. Sunday in Palm Island Park in Miami Beach. With 400 participants already pre-registered, Norton anticipates that 700 participants will attend compared to last year’s 500 participants.

The Wendy Walk and the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative are the only two international efforts that raise money for liposarcoma research. Liposarcoma is a rare form of tissue cancer that results in the growth of malignant soft tissue tumors, usually in the abdominal cavity and extremities. The disease has no cure, but its symptoms are treatable.

The walk is held annually in New York City, Los Angeles and Miami. Landes’ three kids each lead one of the three walks. Senior Jackie Landes hosts the Miami run and won the UM Student Distinction Award for her efforts in Wendy Walk. Throughout the walk’s four years, the siblings have raised $1.3 million.

“We’re more determined to make it bigger,” Norton said. “We’re fighting for Wendy’s memory and the others who live with liposarcoma.”

Free transportation from Stanford Drive will be available for students attending the Wendy Walk. The results of a silent auction will be announced at an after party in Brickell.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...