News Briefs 4/11

Petition

The University of Miami’s Student Government (SG) has collected more than 2,000 signatures in the petition circulating to begin work on the University Metrorail Station Pedestrian Overpass project. The petition signatures are aimed at the Coral Gables University Centre Plaza owners, who have rejected $1.8 million in exchange for the five parking spaces at the plaza needed to start the project. The Ashley Kelly Pedestrian Bridge would be built at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court. It was proposed in 2006 after the death of UM student Ashley Kelly eight years ago. To sign the petition, visit tinyurl.com/us1overpass.

Memorial

A memorial for the eighth anniversary of the death of UM student Ashley Kelly will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at the University Metrorail stop in order to bring attention to the issue and ask the community to sign the petition being circulated by Student Government. Student leaders will speak in support of having the University Centre Plaza owners reconsider their decision. Kelly’s parents will also be in attendance. For more information about the event, email SG Chief of Staff Mike Piacentino at m.piacentino@umiami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...