News Briefs 4/11

Petition

The University of Miami’s Student Government (SG) has collected more than 2,000 signatures in the petition circulating to begin work on the University Metrorail Station Pedestrian Overpass project. The petition signatures are aimed at the Coral Gables University Centre Plaza owners, who have rejected $1.8 million in exchange for the five parking spaces at the plaza needed to start the project. The Ashley Kelly Pedestrian Bridge would be built at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court. It was proposed in 2006 after the death of UM student Ashley Kelly eight years ago. To sign the petition, visit tinyurl.com/us1overpass.

Memorial

A memorial for the eighth anniversary of the death of UM student Ashley Kelly will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at the University Metrorail stop in order to bring attention to the issue and ask the community to sign the petition being circulated by Student Government. Student leaders will speak in support of having the University Centre Plaza owners reconsider their decision. Kelly’s parents will also be in attendance. For more information about the event, email SG Chief of Staff Mike Piacentino at m.piacentino@umiami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...