Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Club hooks in newcomers, veterans

Freshman Teresa Browning takes a break during the boxing club practice on Thursday night in the Wellness Center. Browning is the club president for this semster, and will be returning as president next year. Most of the club members use boxing as a way to get into shape. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Sometimes you just want to punch somebody in the face. Dozens of students get that chance every week at the UM boxing club.

In 1960, the NCAA dropped boxing as a sport, and it subsequently disappeared from campus. But in the last two years, UM boxing has returned as an official club sport with a considerable following.

Longtime boxers and newcomers in search of an alternative workout visit the Wellness Center twice a week to join the club.

“Since the reinstatement of the boxing club, students have responded positively,” Club President Teresa Browning said. “After CaneFest, we had more than 100 students come out to see what it was all about. Through the semester, the number has declined … but members who come out now and try it out usually keep coming back time after time.”

The club, which now has around 45 paying members, focuses on fundamentals and technique, creating a demanding workout.

Typical sessions also include individual exercises that target all parts of the body, such as push-ups, lunges and core training.

Later, they dive into boxing exercises like punching, bobbing, weaving and slipping techniques.

Mickey Demos Jr., a former champion who now trains at the Biscayne Boxing and Fitness Club, leads the way at each practice.

Students usually team up with partners, using gloves and mitts to work on punch combinations.

Practices are held from 9:15 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in Multipurpose Room B at the Wellness Center.

Junior Mark Agate joined the club a few weeks ago because he liked the convenience of learning to box right on campus.

“I got tired of my usual weight-lifting routine and wanted to try something new,” he said. “[Boxing] is a great cardio workout, which is what I tend to lack.  It’s also very enjoyable to learn something new that doesn’t revolve around a textbook and academics.”

Other members bring considerable experience to the club. Freshman Mladen Milovic has been boxing since his sophomore year in high school. He said the sport delivers “endless” benefits.

“Mentally, boxing instills a sense of self-confidence and determination,” Milovic said. “The physical benefits of boxing are incredible … Constant arm fatigue helps build muscle memory and definition. Your abs become much stronger, and in turn your core as a whole becomes strong.  It is essentially the perfect whole body workout.”

For students with the desire and skills to go to the next level, there is also a UM boxing team. To make the cut, a student typically attends club practices first, where a coach may recognize his or her competitive potential.

The boxers then work with Demos Jr. or another coach to improve their sparring and prepare them for matches.

Demos Jr. won seven state titles as an amateur boxer in Florida, as well as four Junior Olympic gold medals. He began teaching the sport at the age of 15.

Miami’s boxing club and team have memberships in two leagues, the Florida Collegiate Boxing Conference and the United States Intercollegiate Boxing Association. Through the FCBC, the club competes against schools around the state including FSU, UF and FIU.

Member dues are $25 each semester, which includes free training at Biscayne Boxing and Fitness Club.

Team sessions are at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays, 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and 8:30 p.m. on Fridays.

“I would recommend the UM boxing club to other students because it’s really the best of both worlds,” Milovic said.  “You get to make great friends who share a passion for this sport with you, and you get in the best shape of your life.”

Michael R. Davis

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...