New Cabinet prepares to serve student body

On Wednesday, the new Student Government (SG) Executive Board members assumed their new posts during the annual SG banquet.

Along with the three members of Power of U, the Executive Board Cabinet is comprised of five appointed positions.  There will also be two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court and the ECO agency.

Here’s a look at some of the new members of the Executive Board.

President

Junior Bhumi Patel will serve as the president of SG. She previously served as the executive-at-large external under the “Inspired by U” ticket.

Patel, who is majoring in exercise physiology and working on a business administration minor, expressed her excitement about her new position.

“I’m excited for the year, our initiatives and our team,” she said.

She emphasized the importance of communication within the several SG branches, as well as the importance of teamwork.

“We all have one goal: to make the university better,” she said.

Externally, she hopes SG will have a large presence on campus.

“We want to make sure that everyone is reaching out to SG, and that SG is reaching out to them,” she said. “Our mission is to serve the students.”

Vice President

Junior Justin Borroto will serve as the vice president. Borroto, who is majoring in marketing, plans to achieve several goals. Among them, he hopes to create ways to have students get involved in SG throughout the school year, rather than just at the beginning of each semester.

“We want to create ways so people could constantly be involved in the process,” he said.

Treasurer

Junior Robby Chiste previously served as the chair of Category 5. As treasurer, he will take on a larger role within SG, and will take on many tasks, including making sure funding is available to all the branches within SG that need it. He will also keep the organization financially in check.

The accounting major talked about his goal for next year.

“I really want to make this campus a place that is always reflective of the student voice or what the students want,” he said.

Chief of Staff

Junior Mike Piacentino will serve as the chief of staff. He will help coordinate all internal and external appointments, which includes appointments within SG and on external boards, like the Board of Trustees.

Piacentino, who is majoring in public relations and political science, hopes to further unify SG to maximize efficiency.

“I think my goal is to work to make SG one organization,” he said. “If we could operate as one larger organization and be more strategic in the way we approach different projects, we’ll be much more successful.”

Press secretary 

Adam Orshan will serve as the liaison between SG and the media. He hopes to spread awareness about SG events and hopes students will keep informed about its projects.

Orshan, who is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing, has served on Category 5 since his freshman year. He is excited to take on this larger role within SG next year.

“With exec, I’ll kind of be spreading my wings a little,” he said. “Instead of being in one small area, I will be able to touch and help a lot of parts of SG and therefore have a greater impact on the student body.”

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Alessandria San Roman is not a stranger to the Executive Board. Recently appointed as the executive-at-large internal, she served as the executive secretary for the “Inspired by U” ticket.

San Roman, a political science major working on minors in business law and geography, hopes to facilitate communication among SG.

“I want to make sure that all the branches are aware of what each branch is doing and that they could communicate easily,” she said. “I want to make sure that everyone is aware of what is planned.”

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Nicole Garcia previously worked on the programming advisory board under the former executive-at-large external. In her new position, she will be responsible for programming campus-wide events.

Garcia, who is double majoring in human and social development and psychology and minoring in business administration, said she has several ideas in mind for events students can look forward to attending next year.

“I hope to keep on the tradition of keeping SG student-focused, with things students can look forward to going to,” she said.

Executive Secretary 

Junior Lorena Guardia, who is majoring in human resources management, served on last year’s SG cabinet. She has worked on several projects, including a new mural project in the new Student Activities Center.

As executive secretary, she will keep the Executive Board organized and put together agendas for their meetings. She also has plans to keep better records of SG’s activities.

“I want to make an effort to keep records of what the E-Board is doing, what other branches are doing, and whether they’re keeping their own records,” she said. “That way, if someone 10 years down the road wants to know what SG as a whole did, they’ll be able to look back on that and see what we did.”