Edge, Reviews, Theater

“Priscilla” brings glitter, disco music, laughs to Arsht Center

Drag queens, disco music and debauchery, oh my!

The Broadway tour of “Priscilla: Queen of the Desert” is rolling into the Adrienne Arsht Center and audiences are guaranteed a fun and fabulous evening. The show, which is based on a 1994 Australian cult movie, is running from Thursday to Sunday in the Ziff Ballet Opera House.

The musical comedy tells the story of two drag queens – Anthony “Tick” Belrose who goes by the stage name Mitzi, and Adam Whitely who goes by Felicia – and a transsexual, Bernadette. The trio takes a road trip across the Australian Outback in a ramshackle pink camper, which they christen Priscilla, to play a show in a remote desert spring.  Misadventures and laughs follow, all set to an irresistibly catchy, thumping disco soundtrack.

The entire show is an outrageously fun and raunchy two-and-a-half-hour parade of wacky costumes, outrageous wigs and exquisite eye candy. The audience was showered with ribbons, sparkles and Ping-Pong balls and it was simply impossible not to smile, laugh and sing along.

Despite the colorful chaos, Chris Klink, Bryan West and Scott Willis, who play Tick, Felicia, and Bernadette respectively, easily shined. Their Australians accents were smooth and their singing even better.

Klink, who is the understudy for Tick, perfectly embodied a drag queen undergoing a midlife crisis. Willis played his character Bernadette’s budding relationship with mechanic Bob, played by Joe Hart, with a warm and tender touch. West sparkled as the overly flamboyant Felicia and his verbal sparring with Willis was comedic gold. The trio’s dilemmas are easy to relate to and backed by a talented ensemble; they are the dynamic force behind the musical.

So hop aboard Priscilla and come prepared for a whirlwind of bawdy jokes, glitter and heartwarming moments.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...