Campus Life, Community, News

Cuban blogger paints picture of Cuba

Yoani Sanchez introduces herself to student media during a private conference Tuesday afternoon in the Cuban Heritage Collection. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Freshman Daniela Lorenzo immigrated to the United States from her hometown, Havana, Cuba, at the age of 6.

“My parents wanted my little sister and I to have a good future, something hard to get in Cuba because of the government,” Lorenzo said.

Lorenzo, who now serves as the secretary for the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos, or the Federation of Cuban Students (FEC), was among the few students and members of the student media who had the opportunity to sit down and speak to Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez at a private event Tuesday afternoon.

The event was held at the University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection (CHC), located within the Richter Library.

Sanchez answered questions from the group and spoke about the lack of information and news within Cuba. Sanchez also took a tour of the CHC, which has an extensive collection of nearly 50,000 books and documents on Cuba.

“Information to me is like a breath of fresh air,” said Sanchez, whose blog on Cuba is titled the “Generacion Y” blog.

Lorenzo, who was the first person to ask Sanchez a question, was excited to be a part of the event.

“It was an honor to meet her. I was familiar with her before and admired her strength and courage she had to speak up against injustices,” Lorenzo said. “I also admire her passion for spreading knowledge and information, something Cubans are unfortunately often deprived of.”

Lorenzo expressed warm sentiments about the meeting.

“She’s so down to earth and well-spoken, that I learned a lot from the short amount of time she was here,” Lorenzo said.

Junior Elan Aleman, who serves as the vice president of FEC, also enjoyed Sanchez’s visit. Though he was not born in Cuba, his family is Cuban.

“I felt like it was a curtain lifting as to the reality down in Cuba,” he said. “I know the stories that are spun by politicians and the exaggerations from the exiles that either don’t remember or never witnessed the reality of the situation under the Castro regime.”

Aleman appreciated hearing her take on the state of Cuba.

“She brought a genuine and honest illustration of the contradictions between what is said and what actually is,” he said.

Sanchez’s visit formed part of her 80-day international tour. After her event at UM, Sanchez was scheduled to speak Tuesday evening at the Coral Gables Country Club. The event was hosted by the Foundation of Human Rights in Cuba.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...