Campus Life, News

UM’s rich history provides looking glass for future

Hurricane football players, Sebastian the Ibis and President Donna E. Shalala are not the only ones who have contributed to the University of Miami’s rich history.

“Miami and UM were built around big ideas, so naturally … history would be drawn down here,” said Peter Perez, a UM alumnus who graduated in 2012.

This idea started in 1926 when a group of Miami citizens decided to build an institution that would offer unique opportunities and help a young community grow.

The group, which included Bowman Foster Ashe, UM’s first president; J.C. Penney, an American businessman; and George Merrick, founder of Coral Gables, formed what later became the Board of Trustees and set the foundation and expectations for the university.

During World War II, UM was a major training location for United States and Royal Air Force cadets.

The Navy V-5 and V-12 programs were offered by UM during World War II, which trained approximately 10,000 students and civilians. The Sigma Chi chapter at UM was composed mainly of Navy personnel.

In 1954, the UM Band of the Hour and Hurricanettes visited Guatemala to participate in the country’s Independence Day celebration.

The band members performed three times in Guatemala City’s Olympic Stadium for more than 800,000 people.

The South Campus of UM, the former Richmond Naval Air Station at Coral Reef Drive SW 152nd Street and SW 127th Avenue, opened in fall 1946. It provided housing, dining and recreational facilities and classrooms for about 1,100 students, mainly freshmen.

In the 1960s the Central Intelligence Agency leased several of the buildings at UM’s South Campus saying Zenith Technological Services would use them.

In reality this front company was the headquarter for major United States covert operations and intelligence gathering for the war on Cuba, according to the Cuban Information Archives at Richmond Naval Air Station.

It was code named JMWAVE and became the center for Operation Mongoose – a U.S. operation to overthrow the communist government of Cuba.

When asked about the CIA operations, Perez said he was not surprised. He said UM was always a bridge between Latin America and the United States.

University Center Lanes, which was a bowling alley that operated from 1965 to 1994, along with UC Games Area and Storm Surge Café, which operated from 1965 to 2008, were hubs of campus.

Students could go to these places to grab a bite to eat or relax, play pool or table tennis, and bowl with their friends.

The university made national headlines in 2004 when it hosted the first presidential debate between then-President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry.

More than 63 million Americans watched the debate and more than 3,000 credentialed news media were on campus that week, according to the University of Miami website.

“The future of UM looks bright,” said junior Elan Aleman, who works with the Cuban Heritage Collection at the Richter Library. “The dynamic leadership here at UM, along with our pride and commitment to a culture of excellence, will continue to be a catalyst for success.”

Kevin Rodriguez

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...