Glitchy technology fails to impress

I once was team Blackberry, until my phone started leaking battery acid. Then, I switched to an Android phone. I was excited because I had heard such great things about the Android operating system. And I was impressed, until it began having issues too.

Technology, though helpful and innovative, isn’t made to last. Think back to your house phone – it lasted through everything. Granted, it may not have been “smart,” but it served its function.

It allowed you to do the basics: make and receive phone calls. If you look to the earlier cell phones, they were able to withstand the majority of the abuse that users inflicted on them. I feel that we are sacrificing durability for innovation and aesthetics.

What good is it to have a phone with high speed 4G Internet access and a completely stocked app store if it won’t last more than a year? It is likely that technical issues or software mishaps will begin after a year of having your latest phone.

Therefore, spending hundreds of dollars on the latest phone may end up being like paying for a ridiculously overpriced paper weight.

I considered downgrading my cell phone because my two latest phones have the exact same problem. I wanted to go back to a simpler time – when phones were simply used to make calls and send text messages. Let’s be honest, many of us have tablets or computers in addition to our cell phones.

Do we really need three pieces of technology that can essentially do the same things?

My attempt to downgrade my phone was unsuccessful because phone companies don’t make it easy for you to do so for the simple reason that it hurts their profit margin. Alas, I have a new smart phone that has worked well for the time being. But it’s only been a few weeks.

While innovations are important, be aware that it can end up costing you time, energy and money in the long run.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...