Academics, News

Plus 1 initiative in the works

Student Government’s “Plus 1 Scholars Program” may need to wait plus one more years before taking effect.

Plus 1 was a main platform of SG President Nawara Alawa’s administration during the spring 2012 election. The initiative would allow students to study an academic passion separate from the student’s current degree for an additional year without paying for tuition.

As Alawa’s term comes to an end, Plus 1 remains in its planning stages. The current executive board originally had a goal of completing the project by the end of this semester.

“We are hoping to implement the project correctly and efficiently instead of quickly just to check it off of our list,” she said.

A  main challenge was finding ways to integrate the fifth-year option into the current framework of the curriculums of each school or college.

“Working with each of them to figure out the best way to make this happen has been more complex than initially expected,” Alawa said.

Alawa said that William Green, dean of undergraduate education, has been helpful in connecting SG to the deans.

“He has a greater and more broad understanding of how academics at the university work,” she said.

UM’s Plus 1 program is based on the current Take 5 Scholars Program at the University of Rochester. Rochester’s website states that Take 5 is intended for students who wish to “explore additional disciplines and courses that might not otherwise be available to them.”

According to Rochester’s publication Campus Times, Take 5 helps students enhance their undergraduate education by letting them take courses outside of their majors.

Roshal Patel, the student government president at Rochester and a Take 5 scholar, said that students must meet with their academic adviser and a Take 5 adviser to plan their course of study.

“Even though I am going into healthcare, I am able to study music engineering and grow as a person,” he said.

Junior Uju Akaniru, a biomedical engineering major, feels that a fifth year would allow her to  take more humanities courses.

“I want to get a more rounded education in psychology and philosophy,” she said.

Bhumi Patel, the SG president-elect, hopes to start where Alawa left off.

“Even if it’s something established like farmers market or something that requires work like [Plus 1], we thought of the previous administration’s initiatives in planning our ideas,” she said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...