Venezuelan future unclear, fear rises

Recently, a fellow classmate not-so-kindly reminded me that my Venezuelan experience differs from that of recently arrived Venezuelans.
Venezuela has been under the rule of Hugo Chavez since 1999. Chavez became a dictator who changed the Venezuelan constitution for his own personal gain, severely upset relations with the U.S. and nationalized much of the state’s important industries. Chavez died March 5, and the world began to speculate what would come next.
I have lived Chavismo from abroad. I was born in Venezuela. My mother and I emigrated to the United States 21 years ago. My father, one of my sisters, my brother, my aunts and uncles, my cousins and friends all remain in Venezuela.
My experience with the Chavez regime has been lived through weekly Skype calls, daily email exchanges and an almost fanatical perusing of the news. Each time my cell phone rings with a 001 exchange, my stomach turns at the intense fear that someone close to me has been a victim to the violence. The fear is very real.
In the last 15 years, my family and friends have succumbed to the effects of a failing infrastructure. My father’s best friend was brutally murdered just blocks from our home. Last fall, my sister was mugged at gunpoint.
A piece of my heart lives in Venezuela. To be called an outsider by my classmate ignores the reality lived each day in my household. Venezuela’s future is unclear. Chavez left a successor, and his ideas have a strong following. The opposition is loosely organized and lacks a strong leader. My biggest fear is that the situation in Venezuela will escalate before Venezuelans see real change.
Now, the real work begins. I look forward to the return of democracy, while it may not be overnight.
I can only hope that one day Venezuela will have the same allure as the U.S. does, welcoming immigrants from around the globe who wish to pursue their dreams.
One can hope, right?

Stephanie Pavolini is a graduate student majoring in international administration.

Stephanie Pavolini

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Venezuelan future unclear, fear rises”

1. luke Weyland says:

The outpouring of grief over the death of Hugo Chavez, shows that the people of Venezuela love Chavez and will continue to support his revolution.
    I expect that interim President Maduro will be win the ballot on April 14 with over 55% of the vote.
    Maduro will continue to strengthen the Bolivarian Revolution and the integration of the Carribean, South and Central America.

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...