Baseball, Sports

Radziewski strikes out 16, Miami takes two from VT

Junior left-handed pitcher, Bryan Radziewski, waits to be introduced and join his teammates on the field during the opening game against alumni in February. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Miami claimed two of its three weekend games against Virginia Tech and improved its record to 19-8 (4-5 ACC).

The Canes nearly staged a late comeback to sweep the series, but the Hokies (18-7, 5-4 ACC) scored three runs in the 10th inning on Sunday.

The 8-5 loss was Miami’s first in extra innings this season.

Garrett Kennedy and Grant Heyman each knocked in a run with singles during a seventh-inning rally that knotted the game at 5-5.

But the clutch hitting stopped there, and No. 24 Virginia Tech escaped.

Saturday’s matchup had a different feel.

Junior left-hander Bryan Radziewski was able to shut down the Hokies’ offense with a commanding performance. He struck out 16 batters in all nine innings of work.

The last Hurricane pitcher to match that total was Joe Grahe – who punched out 18 – in 1989.

After his very first pitch of the game was taken for a double, Radziewski found his rhythm and retired 19 consecutive batters at one point on Saturday.

“It’s been a long time since we had a complete game,” Miami coach Jim Morris said. “He pitched an outstanding game, he totally dominated for nine innings. It was fun to watch.”

It was a pitchers’ duel for much of the night, and Miami didn’t make it on the scoreboard until the fifth inning.

Two insurance runs were just enough to secure the win amid Radziewski’s sharp outing on the mound.

“Wherever I was calling it, he was hitting the glove,” said Kennedy, the sophomore catcher. “That’s the main thing with all our pitchers. When they get ahead, they can work and move around.”

Sophomore Chris Diaz contributed eight strong innings of his own on Friday to down Virginia Tech. Brad Fieger, who leads Miami with a .316 batting average, had two hits during the 11-9 win.

The Canes will take on Florida Atlantic at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Miami will then travel to Charlotesville, Va., for a weekend series against Virginia.

On March 30, the game will be broadcast on ESPN3.com. For all other games, listen live on WVUM (90.5 FM) or wvum.org.

Spencer Dandes

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...