Baseball, Sports

Radziewski strikes out 16, Miami takes two from VT

Junior left-handed pitcher, Bryan Radziewski, waits to be introduced and join his teammates on the field during the opening game against alumni in February. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Miami claimed two of its three weekend games against Virginia Tech and improved its record to 19-8 (4-5 ACC).

The Canes nearly staged a late comeback to sweep the series, but the Hokies (18-7, 5-4 ACC) scored three runs in the 10th inning on Sunday.

The 8-5 loss was Miami’s first in extra innings this season.

Garrett Kennedy and Grant Heyman each knocked in a run with singles during a seventh-inning rally that knotted the game at 5-5.

But the clutch hitting stopped there, and No. 24 Virginia Tech escaped.

Saturday’s matchup had a different feel.

Junior left-hander Bryan Radziewski was able to shut down the Hokies’ offense with a commanding performance. He struck out 16 batters in all nine innings of work.

The last Hurricane pitcher to match that total was Joe Grahe – who punched out 18 – in 1989.

After his very first pitch of the game was taken for a double, Radziewski found his rhythm and retired 19 consecutive batters at one point on Saturday.

“It’s been a long time since we had a complete game,” Miami coach Jim Morris said. “He pitched an outstanding game, he totally dominated for nine innings. It was fun to watch.”

It was a pitchers’ duel for much of the night, and Miami didn’t make it on the scoreboard until the fifth inning.

Two insurance runs were just enough to secure the win amid Radziewski’s sharp outing on the mound.

“Wherever I was calling it, he was hitting the glove,” said Kennedy, the sophomore catcher. “That’s the main thing with all our pitchers. When they get ahead, they can work and move around.”

Sophomore Chris Diaz contributed eight strong innings of his own on Friday to down Virginia Tech. Brad Fieger, who leads Miami with a .316 batting average, had two hits during the 11-9 win.

The Canes will take on Florida Atlantic at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Miami will then travel to Charlotesville, Va., for a weekend series against Virginia.

On March 30, the game will be broadcast on ESPN3.com. For all other games, listen live on WVUM (90.5 FM) or wvum.org.

About Author

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...