Baseball, Sports

Radziewski strikes out 16, Miami takes two from VT

Junior left-handed pitcher, Bryan Radziewski, waits to be introduced and join his teammates on the field during the opening game against alumni in February. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Miami claimed two of its three weekend games against Virginia Tech and improved its record to 19-8 (4-5 ACC).

The Canes nearly staged a late comeback to sweep the series, but the Hokies (18-7, 5-4 ACC) scored three runs in the 10th inning on Sunday.

The 8-5 loss was Miami’s first in extra innings this season.

Garrett Kennedy and Grant Heyman each knocked in a run with singles during a seventh-inning rally that knotted the game at 5-5.

But the clutch hitting stopped there, and No. 24 Virginia Tech escaped.

Saturday’s matchup had a different feel.

Junior left-hander Bryan Radziewski was able to shut down the Hokies’ offense with a commanding performance. He struck out 16 batters in all nine innings of work.

The last Hurricane pitcher to match that total was Joe Grahe – who punched out 18 – in 1989.

After his very first pitch of the game was taken for a double, Radziewski found his rhythm and retired 19 consecutive batters at one point on Saturday.

“It’s been a long time since we had a complete game,” Miami coach Jim Morris said. “He pitched an outstanding game, he totally dominated for nine innings. It was fun to watch.”

It was a pitchers’ duel for much of the night, and Miami didn’t make it on the scoreboard until the fifth inning.

Two insurance runs were just enough to secure the win amid Radziewski’s sharp outing on the mound.

“Wherever I was calling it, he was hitting the glove,” said Kennedy, the sophomore catcher. “That’s the main thing with all our pitchers. When they get ahead, they can work and move around.”

Sophomore Chris Diaz contributed eight strong innings of his own on Friday to down Virginia Tech. Brad Fieger, who leads Miami with a .316 batting average, had two hits during the 11-9 win.

The Canes will take on Florida Atlantic at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Miami will then travel to Charlotesville, Va., for a weekend series against Virginia.

On March 30, the game will be broadcast on ESPN3.com. For all other games, listen live on WVUM (90.5 FM) or wvum.org.

Spencer Dandes

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...