Baseball, Sports

Radziewski strikes out 16, Miami takes two from VT

Junior left-handed pitcher, Bryan Radziewski, waits to be introduced and join his teammates on the field during the opening game against alumni in February. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Miami claimed two of its three weekend games against Virginia Tech and improved its record to 19-8 (4-5 ACC).

The Canes nearly staged a late comeback to sweep the series, but the Hokies (18-7, 5-4 ACC) scored three runs in the 10th inning on Sunday.

The 8-5 loss was Miami’s first in extra innings this season.

Garrett Kennedy and Grant Heyman each knocked in a run with singles during a seventh-inning rally that knotted the game at 5-5.

But the clutch hitting stopped there, and No. 24 Virginia Tech escaped.

Saturday’s matchup had a different feel.

Junior left-hander Bryan Radziewski was able to shut down the Hokies’ offense with a commanding performance. He struck out 16 batters in all nine innings of work.

The last Hurricane pitcher to match that total was Joe Grahe – who punched out 18 – in 1989.

After his very first pitch of the game was taken for a double, Radziewski found his rhythm and retired 19 consecutive batters at one point on Saturday.

“It’s been a long time since we had a complete game,” Miami coach Jim Morris said. “He pitched an outstanding game, he totally dominated for nine innings. It was fun to watch.”

It was a pitchers’ duel for much of the night, and Miami didn’t make it on the scoreboard until the fifth inning.

Two insurance runs were just enough to secure the win amid Radziewski’s sharp outing on the mound.

“Wherever I was calling it, he was hitting the glove,” said Kennedy, the sophomore catcher. “That’s the main thing with all our pitchers. When they get ahead, they can work and move around.”

Sophomore Chris Diaz contributed eight strong innings of his own on Friday to down Virginia Tech. Brad Fieger, who leads Miami with a .316 batting average, had two hits during the 11-9 win.

The Canes will take on Florida Atlantic at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Miami will then travel to Charlotesville, Va., for a weekend series against Virginia.

On March 30, the game will be broadcast on ESPN3.com. For all other games, listen live on WVUM (90.5 FM) or wvum.org.

Spencer Dandes

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...