Students discover creative study nooks

Studying can be done almost anywhere: in a bedroom, in a closet, at the beach or a bar.

With 10,509 students at the University of Miami, students are bound to get creative when finding and choosing their best study spots.

Junior Danielle Bouquio, an employee at the Tavern Bar in Coconut Grove, studies at the bar and finds Tavern convenient. Junior Jacqueline Rangel joins Bouquio at the bar to study as well. The two find it a nice way to study together in a lively environment.

“Well since I work there, I control the music that is playing, so I can put on whatever I want,” Bouquio said. “There is a lot of space on the bar to spread things out. The customers that are there during the day are always encouraging me to keep up with my studies.”

Others, like senior Hadley Manfredi, prefer a more secluded study location. She finds it too chaotic to study on campus, so she turns to her closet for study serenity.

“My closet at school is pretty big, but not big enough for someone to come sit in there and bother me while I study,” Manfredi said. “When I go in there, there aren’t any windows for me to be wishing I was outside and enjoying some quality sun and tanning time.”

Junior Amanda Sahley, however, rejects quiet locations. She studies with screaming music in her ears. The severity of the music helps her concentrate by blocking everything else.

“I like singing while listening,” she said. “I sometimes associate songs with topics when I’m taking a test in my memory.”

But for some students, studying is coupled with other activities like exercise.

The Wellness Center can serve as an ideal study location for these multitaskers. In an effort to maximize her time, junior Nabila Bader, studies while running on the treadmill.

“Well I usually read and study on the treadmill because I feel like while I’m working out and waiting for the time to pass,” she said. “I’m not focusing on the exercise and more on what I’m reading, so it makes the exercise not so dreadful.”

The efficiency and convenience of studying while working out is also a great method to keep your mind and body healthy, Bader said.

Of course, with the glistening, Miami sun and clear blue skies, some students feel it is a sin to study inside.

Sophomore Puck Readers, an undeclared pre-med major, utilizes any time she has to take a trip to the beach to study.

“The reason why I like to study on the beach is because it relaxes me while studying, so I learn quicker,” she said. “I like to climb up in a big tree to get away from things and read my assigned readings. I hate libraries because I always see people I know, and I feel like I can’t take little breaks like taking a nap or going for a swim.”

Rebecca Cohen

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...