News, Student Government

Secret ingredient, renovation plans revealed

Seniors Nawara Alawa and Caitlin Giles competed in the Iron Chef competition Wednesday night in the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall. Caitlin Giles acted as an assistant/helper, but both cooked with Executive Chef John Cook who gave instructions and demonstrations. The special ingredient they used was American bison and was included in each dish.  The competition was hosted by Student Government and Dining Services. Charlotte Cushing // Contributing Photographer

Seniors Nawara Alawa and Caitlin Giles competed in the Iron Chef competition Wednesday night in the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall. Caitlin Giles acted as an assistant/helper, but both cooked with Executive Chef John Cook who gave instructions and demonstrations. The special ingredient they used was American bison and was included in each dish. The competition was hosted by Student Government and Dining Services. Charlotte Cushing // Contributing Photographer

Junior Danny Barry lifted the smoking silver metal lid. Uncovering a platter of raw meat, he revealed the secret ingredient – American bison – in the first-ever Iron Chef UM competition at the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall on Wednesday evening.

Three teams of two student celebrities wearing black aprons and white chef hats were paired with an on-campus executive chef in the event planned by Student Government (SG) and Dining Services.

SG Vice President Caitlin Giles, who competed alongside SG President Nawara Alawa, exclaimed an excited “woohoo” at the prospect of cooking with the unusual ingredient.

Aromas of blueberry barbecue sauce and bison lettuce wraps wafted in the dining hall, reeling in students having dinner.

“It smells good in here,” said SG Executive-at-Large External Bhumi Patel, who worked with Dining Services to plan the competition.

Other student spectators dined on hors d’oeuvres, while the three teams prepared their meals. A panel of six judges, which included Vice President of Student Affairs Pat Whitely and Director of the Wellness Center Norm Parsons, taste-tested each of the dishes to select a winner.

Hurricane athletes Nrithya Sundararaman and Miles Levine won the competition with their dish: bison burgers with Caribbean slaw.

“Nrithya and Miles are both athletes, so we cover a wide base of campus, and they represent a lot of campus coming together for this event,” Patel said.

Brenden Koller, president of the Interfraternity Council, and Steven Priepke, assistant dean of students, made up the final team of competitors. An executive chef who works in the Hurricane Food Court assisted as they used hanger steak, a cut of bison beef similar to skirt steak.

Junior Jordan Livingston came to the event to support his friends, Alawa and Giles, and the SG program.

“It’s a way fancier setup than I thought it would be,” said Livingston, an SG enthusiast. “It’s really exciting.”

The event concluded with a public announcement about the renovations that will take place in the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall.

“We decided on this type of atmosphere, and that we would incorporate the reveal of the renovations into it because it’s perfect timing and to have it at Mahoney dining hall, where the renovations are taking place,” Patel said.

The building will be knocked down, and the new dining hall will offer high-top seating, conference-style seating for large groups and even outdoor seating. Posters of building renderings were on display.

“Students have been coming by and looking at the posters for it,” said Barry, the marketing intern for Chartwell. “We’ve got some really, really awesome stuff coming next year.”

This will hopefully not be the last Iron Chef event at UM, said Patel, who is also the SG President-elect.

“I hope it’s a tradition that continues,” she said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...