News briefs: 3/21

USpeak

The fifth issue of UM’s literary journal Mangrove will be unveiled at USpeak. The event will feature readings from Mangrove, open-mic readings from some of the Mangrove staffers and members of the Miami writing community. USpeak will occur at the Oasis Cafe in the UC from 8 to 10 p.m. Thursday. For more information, contact mangrovejournal@gmail.com or visit the Mangrove Facebook page.

Haiti Week

Haitian Culture Week began Tuesday with a celebration at the Rock. Events will continue throughout the week until March 28. Other activities include a game night and a carnival in the School of Communication courtyard. For more information, contact miamihso@gmail.com.

Syrian Relief

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a clothing drive and sell Middle Eastern foods to benefit Syrians who have left their homes for refugee camps in Jordan. Club members will be tabling in the UC Breezeway throughout the week of March 25 every day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM.

Raffle

Two basketballs signed by the UM 2013 ACC Champions will be raffled at the UC Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Friday  and March 25 through 29. The UM Hurricane Athletic Training Students will be selling raffle tickets. One ticket costs $2, three tickets cost $5 and seven tickets are $10.

Social Justice

The Students Together Ending Poverty (S.T.E.P.) organization will feature Hunger and Homelessness Week Saturday through March 29. Each day will focus on a specific theme, such as sexual orientation and youth homelessness, at Eaton Residental College, apartment 108 and a faces of homelessness series on the Rock from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m Monday through March 28.  For more information, contact umstep11@gmail.com.

Alex Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...