Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes prepare to continue making history

The 2013 season has undoubtedly been a dream come true for the Miami Hurricanes. It’s a fairytale ride that not even Jim Larranaga, a noted believer in visualizing one’s goals, probably could have imagined.

But the team is still six wins away from its ultimate goal. The Canes have departed for Austin, Texas, to face the Pacific Tigers in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at 2:10 p.m. Friday.

In their first trip to the Big Dance since 2008, the Canes will be playing in a winnable East Region. Miami’s experience and maturity – the average Hurricane is 21.3 years old – as well as their superb guard play should propel them to an Elite Eight showdown with No. 1-seed Indiana.

Tom Crean’s Hoosiers and their high-powered offense (80 points per game) will be the ultimate challenge for the swarming Hurricanes defense. Interestingly, Indiana has made the ascent to No. 1 and then lost in the same week on three occasions this year.

To make the final push to Atlanta, the Canes must keep the ball in the reliable hands of All-ACC first teamer and Naismith Player of the Year candidate Shane Larkin. The sophomore point guard, who leads the team in points and assists, has emerged as Miami’s go-to guy with his ability to create for his teammates and make important shots when needed.

Miami’s frontcourt, on the other hand, will rely heavily on sixth-year senior Julian Gamble. With Reggie Johnson struggling to find his pre-injury form, Gamble stepped up as a defensive anchor, leading the Canes with 59 blocks.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...