Sports Briefs 3/7

Women’s Basketball

Miami claimed two spots on the All-ACC first team for the third straight year, with Stefanie Yderstrom and Morgan Stroman earning the honor after being voted in by the league’s head coaches.

Yderstrom leads the conference in free-throw percentage, and she has started 104 straight games for Miami. Her 12.3 points per game are second only to Stroman’s 13.

“Morgan and Stefanie have been an integral part in the revival of this Miami program,” head coach Katie Meier said.

Stroman – who was also named to the All-ACC Defensive Team – returned this season after an Achilles tear sidelined her for the second half of the 2011 season. She and Yderstrom each reached 1,000 career points.

“Morgan has to be the comeback player of the year,” Meier said. “Her resiliency and determination after a devastating injury has been inspirational.”

The Hurricanes are participating in the ACC Tournament this weekend in Greensboro, N.C. Miami will match up against Virginia Tech in the first round at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Baseball

Miami shut down Central Florida in a midweek game at Alex Rodriguez Park, winning 5-0 to improve to 12-2 on the season.

The No. 24 Hurricanes also collected a 6-2 win over Maine on Tuesday as freshman starter Thomas Woodrey tossed eight strong innings for his second straight victory.

Junior Brad Fieger cracked an RBI single as part of Miami’s four-run seventh inning. Fieger extended his hitting streak to 13 games on Wednesday.

Miami will host Duke for a weekend series with matchups at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com. 

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...