Campus Life, News

SAC to feature 24-hour study space, Starbucks

Courtesy _______

Courtesy _______

College students are no strangers to the phenomenon that is pulling an all-nighter. Once the Student Activities Center (SAC) opens in the fall of 2013, University of Miami students will have a space to stay on those nights when sleep isn’t in the cards.
According to Student Government (SG) President Nawara Alawa, many of the past SG administrations have requested that the library stay open for 24 hours.
“In order to ensure that students are safe and secure while they study, there has to be a building that can be secured at those hours,” Alawa said.
The security concerns with the Richter Library led Alawa to suggest the SAC as the appropriate location for the new 24-hour study space. The library is not a good place, she says, because the first floor cannot be secured.
“You have a really open stairwell so even if you turn off the elevators, people can go to the second floor and the stacks,” she said.“… When I say secure I mean … there is [only]one way to lock off that area.”

The study space in the SAC will hold different kinds of seating in order to cater to as many students’ study habits as possible. There will be cubicles for private individual study, individual study desks, group seating and lounge seating.

According to Alawa, 24-hour lounges are popular on other college campuses.

“Dan Westbrook also did a lot of research on other UCs and student activities centers across the nation, and he found that many of them had … a 24/7 space,” Alawa said.
Westbrook, executive director of the University and Student Activities Center, said he pulled inspiration from lounges in schools like Harvard, Yale and Cambridge. The idea was to mimic the feel of those campuses but with a Miami twist.
“I think the interior designers and architects working together with the students … really came up with a good way of bringing that feel to the space and still having that University of Miami flavor,” Westbrook said.

A new Starbucks location near the lounge will be open 24 hours as well, according to Alawa.

“With the whole new dining contract and the changes that are going to be occurring, there is the idea of a 24-hour Starbucks being thrown around,” Alawa said. “So we said maybe that could go really well with coupling it in the new Student Activities Center.”

Sophomore Jesus Melendez said he is excited to have a new space to study and sees benefits for both commuters and residents.
“I try to plan out my studies so I don’t have to pull all-nighters because I can’t physically keep myself up that late,” Melendez said. “But … I think that would be extremely convenient for, not only myself as a commuter, but for residents as well who might think their roommate is annoying, and they can’t study in their dorm.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...