Professors live on campus, embrace students

Laura Kohn-Wood at home with her husband London Wood and son Lian. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Not many children can say they grew up in a residential college eating at dining halls, attending on-campus festivals and listening to world-quality speakers.
For professors like Laura Kohn-Wood and her family, this is just another day in the life.

The Residential Faculty Program was instituted to bridge the gap between what students learn in the classroom and how to incorporate that into their every day lives.

The chance to engage with students on a deeper level drew Kohn-Wood, faculty master at Pearson Residential College, her husband and son to this position.

“I’m excited to have a different kind of role with undergraduates,” said Kohn-Wood, professor in the Department of Educational and Psychological Studies. “You really do get to know students in a different way. There’s another side of student’s lives that are outside of the classroom, and it has been a really great learning experience for me, as well, getting to know them.”

The faculty master at Hecht Residential College Michelle Maldonado has been living on campus for five years with her husband, two sons and their dog, Molly.

As a residential faculty member, she follows three guidelines: building a bridge between the classroom and other university experiences, fostering an intentional intellectual community, and being a facilitator between students and professors.

“I think that students at UM rarely encounter professors who aren’t grading them, so there’s always that dimension of their relationship that this person’s giving me a grade, this person’s somehow judging me,” said Maldonado, associate professor in the Department of Religious Studies. “And to have a faculty member they can turn to, work with, talk with about any issue they’re having, I think is really important.”

Although raising children in a college environment may concern some parents, professor Scot Evans faculty advisor of Eaton Residential College was never worried about living with his wife, daughter and son on campus because the other families formed a community and assured him of the benefits.

He also found that the Residential Assistants (RA’s) played a positive role.

“The RA’s that I work with are really good role models and mentors, even sometimes babysitters for my kids, so they have a lot of older support,” said Evans, assistant professor in the Department of Educational and Psychological Studies. “And time will tell, as for them being at a university environment, where everyone is interested in learning new things and there’s lots of different people, different cultural events and things going on, I think that can only be a positive.”

Students also benefit from  living among faculty because they see faculty as normal, regular people, according to Kohn-Wood.

“To some extent, if they can relate with me on a more human level, then hopefully that will transfer to connecting with other professors they have,” she said.

The interactions with students take on many forms, and Kohn-Wood encourages the different types of programming put on by the RA’s or other student residents who suggest ideas.

Programs include open houses, guest speakers, trips to various Miami locations, and transition programs for freshmen.

Kohn-Wood places emphasis on diversity-focused programs.

She is initiating an independent study that encourages students with different world views and perspectives to hold conversations with the purpose of learning from each other.

In addition to helping students adjust to campus life and handle academic struggles, the faculty provide a sense of community meant to foster success, for both students and professors.

“It probably did take me a while to adjust and now I’m so used to it, that when I have friends come over and they see eight girls making cookies in my kitchen, they ask ‘Is this normal?’ and I say, yeah this is actually normal for us,” Maldonado said. “I think now it’s life and I really love doing it, and I’m really passion about it.”

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...