Community, Edge

Celebrate St. Patty’s Day the Miami way

MIAMI, FL - March 17, 2012: Fernando Lepri (left), Sheeda Iman (center), Angie Rose, and Bob Howard (right) participated in the fifth Beer Snob Bicycle Pub Crawl on Saint Patrick's Day. The group attracted several hundred, as they rode from pub to pub, starting with Zeke's on South Beach and ending at the filling station in downtown Miami. "I don't drink," says Iman, "I'm just along for the ride... it seemed like something different to do for Saint Patrick's day other than going to just one bar and getting drunk." Fellow riders would hand out green and gold beads to spread the spirit of the holiday. (Photo by Cayla Nimmo)

MIAMI, FL – March 17, 2012: Fernando Lepri (left), Sheeda Iman (center) and Bob Howard (right) participated in the fifth Beer Snob Bicycle Pub Crawl on St. Patrick’s Day 2012. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

The Irish-American population may be low in Miami-Dade, but that doesn’t stop anyone here from getting ready to go all-out in leprechaun mode.

It’s time to cough up the emerald shirts, hats and beads, and maybe even brush up on some Gaelic, for the St. Patrick’s Day festivities are about to take over. Here’s a list of our top five picks to indulge in as much Guinness as luck offers ye’ at the end of the rainbow.

Fado Irish Pub – Brickell

It’s only appropriate to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at a local bar that’s as Irish as it gets. You won’t want to miss a minute of the third annual Outdoor St. Patty’s Street Festival that starts at 8 a.m. with “Kegs and Eggs,” right outside of Fado. Enjoy live music, drink specials, dancing drunk people and bagpipers all day and night long – plus, prizes from Y100.

Fado Irish Pub is located at 900 S. Miami Ave., second floor, Miami.

Bougainvillea’s – South Miami

If you’d rather stay close to campus, but still get as wild as the Brickellites, head on over to the Irish State of Mind party at Bougie’s. They’ll be packed with the rowdiest of locals from as early as 2 p.m. until 5 a.m., and will have $4 green beers and $8 Irish Car Bombs all night. Not bad, and no cover at the door either.

Bougainvillea’s is located at 7221 SW 58th Ave., South Miami.

John Martin’s – Coral Gables

Looking to devour the most traditional Irish eats in Miami? Hop right out of bed to a delicious all-you-can-eat Irish breakfast buffet for $24.50. Once you’re full, enjoy a skilled bagpiper performance and specials galore with the comfort of live entertainment all day long. Don’t forget to reserve your spot for unlimited leprechaun munchies in the morning.

John Martin’s is located at 253 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.

Duffy’s – Miami Beach

If you really want to celebrate traditional Miami style, hang out by the Duffy’s pool at the beach. Two-for-one drinks, all weekend long. There will be an $11.95 cornbeef cabbage special and endless green beer. Plus, live DJs spinning by the water both Saturday (“St. Practice Day”) and Sunday. We predict the pool will turn green by the end of Sunday.

Duffy’s is located at 3969 NE 163rd St., North Miami Beach.

Fort Lauderdale St. Patty’s Parade

If you can’t celebrate with the Miami crew because of spring break, get started early! March 9th will be Fort Lauderdale’s annual St. Patrick’s Parade and Festival on Las Olas featuring floats, music, food and a show you won’t want to miss. We guarantee you’ll find something to keep you occupied and all Irish-ed out.

The St. Patty’s Parade will be held at Southeast Sixth Avenue and Las Olas Blvd.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...