Sports, Tennis

Canes outlast Clemson after five hours on the court

There are some things in life you just can’t rush.

After nearly five hours of play – and two hours of doubles competition alone – the University of Miami women’s tennis team proved that success does not come easily nor quickly.

The No. 15 Hurricanes defeated the No. 23 Clemson Tigers 4-3 in Sunday’s ACC matchup at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Coming off a series of difficult matchups and fresh off their first conference loss of the season to Florida State, the Hurricanes showed that they’re a force to be reckoned with on the courts.

UM secured the doubles point with wins from first pair sophomore Lina Lileikite and freshman Stephanie Wagner, second pair freshmen  Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque, and the tiebreaker win from third pair junior Brittany Dubins and freshman Kelsey Laurente.

Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews gave credit to Dubins’ experience and poise as the key factors in her doubles win.

“Kelsey and Britt did an incredible job,” she said. “We had a little more experience on our side, and that came from Brittany Dubins. She’s been in situations like that time and time again, and I told her, ‘You’re not always going to be successful, but you’re always going to respond. We know that Brittany will always respond, always be coachable, always do what we ask her to do. And we played some smart patterns there at the end, we were able to kind of turn the momentum a little bit.”

In singles play, the Hurricanes collected points from Bolivar’s win over Ani Miao (6-0, 6-4) and Riobueno’s 6-2, 6-4 defeat of Tristen Dewar.

“The energy that I felt from the back courts, from five and six, that’s where we need to be, that’s like Miami style tennis,” Yaroshuk-Tews said after Bolivar and Riobueno wrapped up their wins. “I know that they had the energy, I know they had the fight, I know they had the attitude they needed to have today, which is in my opinion, is more important than the tennis. But the tennis usually follows when you’re like that.”

It was Wagner’s singles victory on court three that clinched the match for the Hurricanes. She was a 7-5, 6-4 winner over Clemson’s Beatrice Gumulya.

“She’s a warrior. She’s so competitive – off the court, on the court, it doesn’t matter – she brings her stubbornness to the court and … she has this refuse-to-lose mentality and I love it, I love being on her court,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “That was a big win, that kid’s number 44 in the country [Gumulya], and Stephie’s been working really hard and she earned that win today on court three.”

In their first ACC win of the season, the Hurricanes’ hard-fought victory is the direct result of a positive attitude and good old-fashioned hard work.

“We were all really motivated and were practicing really hard the last week and I think it paid off. We started with a great energy in the doubles and then in the singles,” Wagner said.

Next up for the Hurricanes, a road trip to Atlanta to take on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Saturday.

“This week we worked super hard physically, we worked super hard mentally with them, kind of preparing them for their future. Not just today, but this coming weekend and the following weekend,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We want them to enjoy today, but we also want them to have a short memory. I say the same thing when we win as when we lose. It’s a short memory. They earned it today, and they’ve got to enjoy it tonight, and wake up tomorrow morning to get ready to earn it again.”

About Author

Kristen Spillane Senior Sports Writer

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...