Holocaust hate still affecting society

The International Holocaust Remembrance Day recently commemorated the 68th anniversary for the liberation of the largest Nazi death camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Presently, we have the leaders of Iran calling for the annihilation of the people of Israel declaring that “the people of Iran are ready to march on Israel to wipe it out.”

The British Sunday Times published an anti-Semitic cartoon of the Israeli prime minister building a wall using Palestinian blood to mark this Holocaust Remembrance Day. The Egyptian aide to President Mohamed Morsi claims that the Holocaust is just a U.S. hoax to justify the existence of the Jewish people in their homeland. Morsi himself calls the Jewish people “descendants of apes and pigs.”

Today we stand in front of an unfortunate reality that consists of the same hatred that led to the Holocaust. The odious fight against the Jewish people focuses mainly on Israel, the Jewish homeland, which is perceived as an easier and acceptable target than just plainly Jews. Criticizing Israel or any other country is legitimate, but holding Israel to higher standards based on anti-Semitic notions is just unacceptable.

We have the power to fight anti-Semitism, and all racial hatred, by exposing it and standing together to denounce the propagating of hatred. In these times, while some leaders continue to preach hate, we must make sure they will never get a chance to practice it.

We are the last generation that has the chance to speak with Holocaust survivors firsthand. We are responsible for understanding the task and challenge that lies on our shoulders – passing the story of how people, not monsters but people full of hate, murdered millions of families in hopes to exterminate an entire race.

And all the while, the world stood silent.

Abir Gitlin is a freshman majoring in international studies and Judaic studies.

Abir Gitlin

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...