News, Student Organization

Hip-hop dance group thrives on ‘swagger’

Freshman Jamie Servidio performs with the group Kaos during Greek Week's Organized Cheer event on the green Friday night. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Freshman Jamie Servidio performs with the group Kaos during Greek Week’s Organized Cheer event on the green Friday night. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

The members of KAOS see hip-hop dancing as more than a passion. Being part of a dance group gives them an escape from the pressures of school and jobs.

“We all have this connection to dancing even though we’re such different people; we come together and have fun,” said sophomore Emily Brudner, president of the student organization.

There are 18 members, including 15 women and three men.

KAOS holds auditions for new members at the beginning of each semester. The number of dancers they take varies. This last semester, they took four new members.

The Executive Board and the general members of KAOS discuss and decide who can join the group.

The group’s leaders, like senior Maria Coronado, are not only interested in dance skills.

“There is a certain stage presence and style that makes someone stand out,” she said.

Junior Natalie Goenaga believes that members should have a certain attitude.

“Don’t be nervous, and just be yourself at auditions. KAOS looks for dancers who love to have a good time, have attitude and swagger, as silly as that sounds,” she said.

Coronado has been a member of KAOS for four years.

She has danced ballet and tap since the age of 3. KAOS has been a way for her to continue dancing, get a workout in and forget about school for two hours twice a week.

“I know that once I graduate, I won’t be able to perform and do things like this so I’m enjoying it while I can,” she said.

KAOS has been a registered student organization since 1995.

Although the student organization has a faculty adviser, currently Connie Nickel, the members are mainly responsible for organizing the club’s events and meetings.

Each semester, they produce a fall or spring showcase before finals week with about 16 different dances.

“You really get to know the other members because the week before showcase, we always practice several hours a day, every day,” Coronado said.

The name KAOS is a secret acronym that only group members know, and only find out once they have completed their first showcase. They also receive nicknames given to them by the other members.

KAOS performs at other occasions besides the end-of-semester showcases. They have danced at Greek Week opening ceremonies and the Organized-Cheer event (O-Cheer) during Homecoming.

There is no cost to join KAOS, but students are required to audition at the onset of each semester.

Bailey Murray

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...