Blogs

Focus on Fitness: Biking the Gables on Old Cutler Trail

Bored with that elliptical yet? Sick of the Stairmaster? There’s just only so much time you can spend on a treadmill before you start to feel like a hamster in a wheel.
Take your workout outdoors and explore some of Coral Gables’ natural beauty on the Old Cutler Trail.

handlebars
The 11-mile paved path begins at Cocoplum Circle and winds down Old Cutler Road. Along the wide, flat trail, cyclists share the space with walkers and joggers alike. Popular attractions along the trail include Fairchild Tropical Garden and Matheson Hammock Park.

sign
Though it’s slightly off the beaten path, the detour through the mangroves into Matheson Hammock offers a dazzling view of Biscayne Bay and the Miami skyline.

brian bike

The park makes a great stop off point to relax in the shade of a palm tree by the tranquil atoll pool.  The calm waters and constant breeze off the bay make Matheson Hammock a destination for kiteboarders, kayakers, and stand-up paddleboarders of all abilities, with lessons and rentals available at the park.

matheson
While 11 miles of scenic trail may not seem like a grueling workout, according to MyFitnessPal.com, and average cyclist can burn nearly 600 calories in 60 minutes biking at a moderate pace (12-14 mph).
With the stress of midterms upon us, take the chance to get those exercise-induced endorphins flowing out in the fresh air and soak up some of that good old Florida sunshine while you’re at it.

Kristen Spillane is a junior journalism and Spanish double major hailing from Boston, Mass. She’s out to make the most of all Miami has to offer and can’t resist a good adrenaline rush or the feeling of being completely and utterly spent after a workout. Blogging for her fellow Canes that are always on the go.

Focus on Fitness is a blog about discovering the plethora of physical activities and outdoor opportunities of the South Florida community and beyond.  Can’t sit still and looking for a refreshing way to use that positive energy? Keep up with Focus on Fitness … if you can. 

Kristen Spillane

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...