Staff Editorial 2/28: New tool eases college process

Choosing the right university to attend is always a difficult task, especially when affordability is a critical deciding factor.

The United States government recently created the College Scorecard, an online tool to help prospective college students decide what school is the best fit for them. It allows individuals to search colleges by name, location, personal interests, type of college and other popular criteria.

A tool like this, created by the government, is unprecedented. Not only does this scorecard allow people to search any accredited university in the U.S., it also provides a breakdown for each school based on the average cost per year, graduation rate, loan default rate, loan borrowing amount and postgraduation employment.

Education issues have always been handled at the state level and the fact that the national government is stepping in to provide a service is extremely beneficial. With tuition rapidly increasing and colleges becoming more selective, students looking to attend college need to know their options.

The accurate and verified information that this tool provides is not available at any other levels of government. With the College Scorecard, students have a service that wouldn’t be provided elsewhere. Even if students research colleges on their own, they are more likely to find information that is skewed, biased or disorganized.

Our government has finally stepped in, the right way, and is helping prospective college students make responsible decisions when thinking about their futures. The College Scorecard also helps parents determine what schools they can and cannot afford, excluding scholarships and grants that their children may receive.

Although the breakdown is user-friendly, it would be helpful to rate the universities on a grading scale as well. Some individuals will understand the system a little better, and it will put the scorecard into perspective.

As the government continues to create positive initiatives that benefit prospective college students, they should also keep current college students in mind. Creating a College Scorecard that breaks down the affordability of postgraduate programs, such as graduate school, law school and medical school, should be the next initiative the government takes on.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...