Staff Editorial 2/28: New tool eases college process

Choosing the right university to attend is always a difficult task, especially when affordability is a critical deciding factor.

The United States government recently created the College Scorecard, an online tool to help prospective college students decide what school is the best fit for them. It allows individuals to search colleges by name, location, personal interests, type of college and other popular criteria.

A tool like this, created by the government, is unprecedented. Not only does this scorecard allow people to search any accredited university in the U.S., it also provides a breakdown for each school based on the average cost per year, graduation rate, loan default rate, loan borrowing amount and postgraduation employment.

Education issues have always been handled at the state level and the fact that the national government is stepping in to provide a service is extremely beneficial. With tuition rapidly increasing and colleges becoming more selective, students looking to attend college need to know their options.

The accurate and verified information that this tool provides is not available at any other levels of government. With the College Scorecard, students have a service that wouldn’t be provided elsewhere. Even if students research colleges on their own, they are more likely to find information that is skewed, biased or disorganized.

Our government has finally stepped in, the right way, and is helping prospective college students make responsible decisions when thinking about their futures. The College Scorecard also helps parents determine what schools they can and cannot afford, excluding scholarships and grants that their children may receive.

Although the breakdown is user-friendly, it would be helpful to rate the universities on a grading scale as well. Some individuals will understand the system a little better, and it will put the scorecard into perspective.

As the government continues to create positive initiatives that benefit prospective college students, they should also keep current college students in mind. Creating a College Scorecard that breaks down the affordability of postgraduate programs, such as graduate school, law school and medical school, should be the next initiative the government takes on.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...