Baseball, Sports

Walk-off hit by Hernandez secured 5-4 comeback win over St.Thomas

After sweeping the visiting Milwaukee Panthers over the course of the weekend, the Canes were able to extend their winning streak to eight on Tuesday night with a late game surge for a 5-4 victory over the visiting St. Thomas Bobcats.

Miami was trailing 4-2 when a double by designated hitter Michael Broad tied the game up at four in the bottom of the eighth inning. Earlier that inning right fielder Chantz Mack hit a line drive up the middle for a double of his own, after second baseman Alex Hernandez had taken first base on a walk. Then with two outs and the count at 0-1 Broad was able to hit a ball deep to bring Mack and Hernandez home.

After a spectacular diving catch by Miami center fielder Dale Carey preserved the tie going into the bottom of ninth, the Canes were able to load the bases with two walks and bunt. Then, with no outs and a 1-2 count, Hernandez was able to drive the ball into shallow right field for a walk-off hit to secure the come-from-behind win.

“[I was] just trying to put the ball in play,” Hernandez said. “I know the infield was in as well and I was just trying to tee something up and hit it hard, make something happen.”

The victory not only preserves Miami’s spotless 8-0 record, but it also marks junior pitcher Bryan Radziewski’s first start of the season, after the left-hander missed much of last year with a season-ending shoulder injury. Although Radziewski only saw limited action, being replaced after two innings, the junior was able to hold the Bobcats scoreless.

“I was just trying to throw strikes and work on my stuff,” he said. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen live hitters, since playing another opponent, so I was just trying to work on my stuff.”

With Barry coming to Alex Rodriguez Park tomorrow at 6 p.m. and a road trip to the University of Florida looming, the close game might have come as a timely wake-up call for the Canes.

“I think tonight, maybe gave us a little bit of a lesson,” said head coach Jim Morris. “Make sure we’re ready to play. I walked out of the locker room and I wasn’t sure that we were as excited as much as I would like to be at that particular time. We’ve been playing a lot of games and it’s tough to play every game hard […] and we need to do that every day.”

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...