Sports briefs 2/25

Women’s Basketball

Georgia Tech scored the final nine points on Sunday afternoon to complete a huge second-half comeback over Miami, 68-64.

Shawnice Wilson and Keyona Hayes each had double-doubles for the Canes (18-9, 9-7 ACC), who looked to be in control with a 15-point lead in the second half.

The Canes went into halftime leading Georgia Tech 38-32, but down the stretch the Yellow Jackets rode a scoring explosion from Tyaunna Marshall. She finished with 37 points.

Stefanie Yderstrom led Miami with 16 points. The Canes host No. 4 Duke for their last home game at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Men’s Basketball

The No. 2 Hurricanes lost for the first time since Christmas in a surprisingly lopsided 80-65 game at Wake Forest on Saturday.

Durand Scott scored 17 points, but Miami’s flat shooting and suddenly frozen offense was no match for the energized Demon Deacons.

The Canes’ 14-game winning streak fell with the loss, as did Miami’s 13-0 conference record. It was the best ACC start since Duke opened 16-0 in 1999.

Miami (22-4, 13-1 ACC) has a 2.5-game lead over Duke in the conference standings.

After a Wednesday night home matchup with Virginia Tech, Miami will travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...