Sports briefs 2/25

Women’s Basketball

Georgia Tech scored the final nine points on Sunday afternoon to complete a huge second-half comeback over Miami, 68-64.

Shawnice Wilson and Keyona Hayes each had double-doubles for the Canes (18-9, 9-7 ACC), who looked to be in control with a 15-point lead in the second half.

The Canes went into halftime leading Georgia Tech 38-32, but down the stretch the Yellow Jackets rode a scoring explosion from Tyaunna Marshall. She finished with 37 points.

Stefanie Yderstrom led Miami with 16 points. The Canes host No. 4 Duke for their last home game at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Men’s Basketball

The No. 2 Hurricanes lost for the first time since Christmas in a surprisingly lopsided 80-65 game at Wake Forest on Saturday.

Durand Scott scored 17 points, but Miami’s flat shooting and suddenly frozen offense was no match for the energized Demon Deacons.

The Canes’ 14-game winning streak fell with the loss, as did Miami’s 13-0 conference record. It was the best ACC start since Duke opened 16-0 in 1999.

Miami (22-4, 13-1 ACC) has a 2.5-game lead over Duke in the conference standings.

After a Wednesday night home matchup with Virginia Tech, Miami will travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...