Campus Life, News

Civic Scholars recognizes leadership, academics

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement (CCE) has partnered with the William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership to create the University of Miami Civic Scholars Program, which will recognize students for their academic success and leadership roles in the community.

This program is designed to allow students to continue the requirements for their undergraduate degree, while intertwining the necessary components needed to graduate as a UM Civic Scholar.

Robin Bachin, assistant provost for civic and community engagement, said this program is unique because it gives students the opportunity to combine their academic and community work.

“One of the most important things about your college education is knowing how to apply your knowledge in real world settings and recognizing the role you play in the civic community,” she said.

There is no application or interview process to be admitted into the UM Civic Scholars Program. It is open to any undergraduate student, including transfer students, but all of the requirements must be completed in order to receive proper recognition.

“It is important for students to know about this program because there are a lot of students who are actively involved in community based work,” Bachin said.

A civic scholar must complete four civic service-learning courses, maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, complete a capstone project, participate in a five-week reflection seminar during their last semester at UM, and participate in three co-curricular service and leadership development experiences.

CCE monitors the academic component of the program, and the Butler Center monitors the co-curricular component.

When students begin the UM Civic Scholar Program, a tracking form is used to check off requirements as they are completed to make sure students stay on track.

Capstone projects can be completed as an internship with an appropriate community agency through the Toppel Internship Program, a community-based senior thesis or a community-based research project that takes place over one semester, and must be approved by CCE beforehand.

Service and leadership development experiences are completed through the Butler Center.

Students have various options, such as Alternative Break, LeaderShape, STRIVE Community, IMPACT Leadership Retreat and studying abroad, so long as it has a focus on service.

“This program is meant to recognize those students who have done quite a bit of work in volunteerism leadership development and linked their classroom learning with their community outreach,” Bachin said.

Upon successfully completing these requirements, students will officially be recognized as UM Civic Scholars with a notation by the Registrar’s Office on their final transcripts, a certificate of achievement, recognition at the annual Celebration of Involvement and recognition at the Honors Convocation.

Andrew Wiemer, director of the Butler Center, said he is excited about the opportunity the UM Civic Scholars Program provides to students.

“We want our students to be citizens of the greater community,” he said. “I hope our students will take an active role in signing up for the courses and experiences the program offers.”

Elizabeth De Armas

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...