Calendar changes come at a cost

The university recently made changes to the academic calendar. These changes include having a week off during Thanksgiving and an extra vacation day during fall break.

I am all for weeklong vacations and four-day weekends, but these changes are going to cost the students.

These extra days off had to come from somewhere and they did: reading days. Now, we will end class on Tuesday, have Wednesday off, and begin exams on Thursday.

The last week of classes usually means three things: projects, papers and tests. Having a weekend and two extra days to study before finals allows students to refocus after the stress that comes with the last week of classes.

Although students shouldn’t solely depend on reading days to get their studying done, and should be studying in advance, this is an unrealistic expectation.

If students have exams during the last week of classes, instead of studying for their finals, they are going to be studying for those tests or finishing those papers or projects.

Personally, I think the calendar changes are a great idea.

We all know that campus becomes a ghost town and professors end up lecturing to five, maybe 10 students as Thanksgiving approaches.

Students always leave before vacation begins and let their professors know in advance.

I also know that reading days are not a right, but these days to study can often lead to success.
The previous academic calendar was fine the way it was. And if something isn’t broken, then why try to fix it?

It is understandable that everyone needs a break sometimes. However, while it’s good for students to be able to relax and spend time with their families, it isn’t worth the possibility of lower exam scores and GPAs in the long run.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Calendar changes come at a cost”

1. Steph says:

Most schools don’t even have reading days. At most they get a weekend off before exams. I know FIU ends classes after we do and still starts break before us. If studying in advance is such an “unrealistic expectation” for most students, then maybe not having what can sometimes be an entire week off between the end of class and exams will be a needed lesson on procrastination. Also, only having one or two exams a day means you can still study during exam time.
    The previous academic calendar was broken. It’s unfair to promote a diverse student body from all over the nation and not give those same students time to travel home to their families for Thanksgiving. And what is the point of having random Friday off in October when many students don’t even have class on Fridays to begin with? Or why we start class on a Wednesday instead of a Monday? We are also the only university I’ve heard of even having “reading days”. I think these changes were needed, and I’m excited to see how the changes work out.

2. Curt says:

The right thing to do would be to either start earlier or end later. I would choose to end later. Do we really need two weeks off before Christmas? Also, I feel that the 5 or 6 weeks we get for winter break is too much. I would rather have the reading days.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...