Football, Sports

NCAA releases allegations against athletic program

The University of Miami received its notice of allegations from the NCAA Tuesday night, as did former Hurricanes coaches who violated ethical conduct rules during their time at the school.

Despite the dismissal of a reported 20 percent of the evidence against Miami – including interviews with two close acquaintances of rogue booster Nevin Shapiro – the school was charged with a lack of institutional control.

NCAA President Mark Emmert revealed the results of an investigation into his organization’s own handling of the Miami case on Monday.

The NCAA enforcement committee was found to have improperly obtained information against UM, a lapse in protocol Emmert called “an embarrassment to the association and our staff.”

Miami now has 90 days to officially respond to its notice of allegations.

President Donna E. Shalala remains steadfast that the university should face no further punitive measures.

“We have worked hard to improve our compliance oversight, and we have already self-imposed harsh sanctions,” Shalala said in a statement, referring to two football bowl game forfeitures and scholarship reductions. “We deeply regret any violations, but we have suffered enough.”

If other recipients of the “lack of institutional control” charge are any indication, the NCAA may not consider those penalties sufficient.

But the university is skeptical about the legitimacy of an NCAA investigation that lacked integrity and thoroughness.

“Most of the sensationalized media accounts of Shapiro’s claims are found nowhere in the notice of allegations,” Shalala said. “The fabricated story played well – the facts did not.”

WHO’s in control?

A “lack of institutional control” is among the NCAA’s heaviest charges. Several athletic programs mired in controversy during the past few years have been linked to the broad term, which can apply to a wide range of misconduct or insufficient compliance measures.

UCF – Central Florida was hit with a lack of institutional control charge in July 2012. Several recruits and players received money for tuition, cash and gifts. The school is serving a four-year probation and two-year bowl ban. The Knights also face reduced scholarships and recruiting restrictions.

USC – The infamous case involving Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo led to a lack of institutional control charge at Southern Cal. The school knew of their wrongdoing but let it continue, and the NCAA responded by stripping the Trojans of their 2005 national title and Bush’s Heisman Trophy.

Ohio State – The Buckeyes curiously avoided the lack of institutional control label, instead earning a “failure to monitor” charge in 2011. Players traded memorabilia for tattoos and cash, and took money from boosters at a charity event. The NCAA considered their handling of the situation proactive, and OSU’s penalties were comparatively slim.

Penn State – Clearly the scandal in State College, Pa., transcended the NCAA and required unprecedented legal scrutiny for a college athletics program. The school was handed crippling sanctions in the wake of the child sex abuse case against Jerry Sandusky, but was never charged with a lack of institutional control.

Spencer Dandes

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “NCAA releases allegations against athletic program”

1. Felipe says:

The real lack of institutional control is on the NCAA’s end:

In response to the findings, the NCAA has fired Julie Roe Lach, the vice president of enforcement. Roe Lach, handpicked by Emmert to be the enforcement head when he took over in 2010, was responsible for approving the payments to Shapiro’s attorney.

• In December, the NCAA fired investigator Abigail Grantstein, who had been looking into the case of UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad. An overheard phone call indicated that Grantstein had judged Muhammad guilty before the investigation was over, and, at the very least, was sharing confidential information.

• Ameen Najjar, a veteran investigator working the Miami case, was fired last year for being the NCAA’s main conduit between Perez and the NCAA.

• Bill Benjamin, a former police chief hired to lead the NCAA’s football investigations, abruptly resigned after just eight months on the job.

• Assistant director of enforcement Richard Johanningmeier led the NCAA’s troubled investigation of USC, and also played a part in the controversial Miami case. He retired in 2012, but his role is just emerging now.

he NCAA used a burner phone to call Nevin Shapiro in prison. And paid Shapiro himself, their star witness, $4,500 for his cooperation.

If that isn’t lack of institutional control then I don’t know what is. The NCAA has absolutely no right to further Punish Miami, furthermore if this happened in the miami investigation then God only knows what happened in other high profile cases like USC and Ohio State let alone ones where Due Process was thrown right out the window along with any semblance of journalistic integrity on behalf of sports media in the Penn State case

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...