Football, Sports

NCAA releases allegations against athletic program

The University of Miami received its notice of allegations from the NCAA Tuesday night, as did former Hurricanes coaches who violated ethical conduct rules during their time at the school.

Despite the dismissal of a reported 20 percent of the evidence against Miami – including interviews with two close acquaintances of rogue booster Nevin Shapiro – the school was charged with a lack of institutional control.

NCAA President Mark Emmert revealed the results of an investigation into his organization’s own handling of the Miami case on Monday.

The NCAA enforcement committee was found to have improperly obtained information against UM, a lapse in protocol Emmert called “an embarrassment to the association and our staff.”

Miami now has 90 days to officially respond to its notice of allegations.

President Donna E. Shalala remains steadfast that the university should face no further punitive measures.

“We have worked hard to improve our compliance oversight, and we have already self-imposed harsh sanctions,” Shalala said in a statement, referring to two football bowl game forfeitures and scholarship reductions. “We deeply regret any violations, but we have suffered enough.”

If other recipients of the “lack of institutional control” charge are any indication, the NCAA may not consider those penalties sufficient.

But the university is skeptical about the legitimacy of an NCAA investigation that lacked integrity and thoroughness.

“Most of the sensationalized media accounts of Shapiro’s claims are found nowhere in the notice of allegations,” Shalala said. “The fabricated story played well – the facts did not.”

WHO’s in control?

A “lack of institutional control” is among the NCAA’s heaviest charges. Several athletic programs mired in controversy during the past few years have been linked to the broad term, which can apply to a wide range of misconduct or insufficient compliance measures.

UCF – Central Florida was hit with a lack of institutional control charge in July 2012. Several recruits and players received money for tuition, cash and gifts. The school is serving a four-year probation and two-year bowl ban. The Knights also face reduced scholarships and recruiting restrictions.

USC – The infamous case involving Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo led to a lack of institutional control charge at Southern Cal. The school knew of their wrongdoing but let it continue, and the NCAA responded by stripping the Trojans of their 2005 national title and Bush’s Heisman Trophy.

Ohio State – The Buckeyes curiously avoided the lack of institutional control label, instead earning a “failure to monitor” charge in 2011. Players traded memorabilia for tattoos and cash, and took money from boosters at a charity event. The NCAA considered their handling of the situation proactive, and OSU’s penalties were comparatively slim.

Penn State – Clearly the scandal in State College, Pa., transcended the NCAA and required unprecedented legal scrutiny for a college athletics program. The school was handed crippling sanctions in the wake of the child sex abuse case against Jerry Sandusky, but was never charged with a lack of institutional control.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...