Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Finger-pointing postpones results, overshadows candidates

I have served on the Supreme Court of our undergraduate Student Government since the fall of my freshman year.  Now, as a senior, I have seen four elections for President of Student Government.  It is a wonderful thing to see regular students channel their love for our school into the hard work and long hours it takes to run for office.  These are students just like us, with classes and work and other obligations who should be applauded for their commitment to serving the student body.

However, elections themselves have become increasingly bitter and have essentially become two weeks of finger-pointing and acrimony.  In all four presidential elections I have been present for, the Supreme Court has been required to hold trials to hear multiple violations of our Elections Codes, which are the binding rules for candidates.  More than once, every candidate in the race has had violations submitted against them by their respective opponents.  This year will mark the second year in a row that the announcement of the results of the elections had to be delayed until all the alleged violations could be sorted out.

This is a shame.  It overshadows the candidates and their platforms and more unfortunately, inherently questions their ethics.  It also has a genuinely detrimental effect on the process itself.  When campaigns are found guilty of campaign violations the Court does have the power to disqualify that ticket.  Of course, doing so nullifies the voices of those students who have voted.  If rampant violations continue, it is only a matter of time before the Court is forced to decide an election and not the students.  Further, I have personally seen how sniping between campaigns creates real divisions among student leaders who may later be required to work together in some capacity, win or lose.

I would implore all future candidates and campaigns to learn the Election Codes and educate supporters on what constitutes a violation.  Most importantly though, consider the tone and character of the race you want to run.  It serves no one to submit petty violations against an opponent, spread disinformation behind their back, and create a constant atmosphere of negativity.

Dwight Eisenhower once wrote, “The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible.”

Hopefully our elections can hold true to that notion.

Sean Norris

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...