News, Student Organization

Glass Guild promotes self-expression, teamwork through art

(Photos by Hadley Jordan)

A new student organization has turned the Studio Arts Complex into one of the hottest hangouts on campus every Tuesday night.

The UM Glass Guild is open to any student interested in the art of glass blowing. It began last November and already has 43 registered members. They get to use the art department kilns, which can reach a scorching temperature of 2,150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Senior Samantha Smith founded the club to help students who were not able to get into one of the department’s introduction to glassblowing classes, which are capped at 10 students each. Whether in class or in the guild, glassblowers need to stay focused because they are working with molten glass, hot equipment and a roaring furnace, according to Alex Adams, who teaches glassblowing and serves as adviser to the guild.

“It really requires me to be alert,” Adams said. “In class, I usually have two groups of five working together. I have to make sure everyone is being safe and getting the right instructions. I don’t think I could do that with more than 10 students in a class.”

While no experience is necessary to join, the glass guild is looking for more people with experience in glass blowing to assist the beginners. Senior Nirmal Pathak, a biology major with a double minor in chemistry and fine art, said he has been “entranced with glass blowing” since the age of 12.

“Once I found out about the guild, I did everything in my power to join,” he said.

Pathak, who plans to go on to medical school, found that glass blowing has helped him in more than an artistic way.

“It’s amazing how much I’ve noticed my dexterity and hand-eye coordination improve due to glass blowing,” he said.

Pathak said he was disappointed that there were not enough students to make an advanced glass class. But working in the guild allows him to practice with others and use teamwork, which he would have gotten from the class. Slumping refers to fusing together small pieces of glass in a kiln to create glass art. Adams said that the guild offers many benefits beyond creating works of art.

“My goal as a teacher and adviser is to get people to work as a team,” he said. “Working in a new environment where danger is involved can provide good skills for the future.”

Smith agreed that glass blowing is a group effort.

“Everyone has a role and everyone works together to create this beautiful piece of art,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Glass Guild meetings

Where: Studio Arts Building, located at 1535 Levante Ave. The glass studios are behind the building at SAR100.

When: 8 p.m. Tuesdays

Dues are $10 per semester. For more information, visit the Glass Guild Facebook page or email Samantha Smith at s.smith44@umiami.edu.

Bailey Murray

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...