Art, Edge

Wynwood’s art sticks

Looking to satisfy your creative side this weekend? There’s no better place to visit than the Wynwood Art District. Wynwood is composed of more than 60 galleries showcasing some of the best paintings, photography, sculpture and multimedia. The art isn’t just for inside gallery walls; the whole area has been transformed into one big canvas as street art decorates Wynwood’s blocks.

The monthly Wynwood Art Walk is one of the best times to visit as the community comes together to highlight the local artists, galleries, stores, restaurants and bars that call Wynwood home. The Art Walk takes place the second Saturday of every month and features not only Wynwood staples but includes an array of food trucks and vendors, making the event a must-see experience.

There’s a number of Wynwood Art Walk tours to help you navigate through this creative community including a standard Art Walk tour, an Underground Tour designed to showcase eclectic art-spaces around the area, a 30-minute tour of the Diet Gallery, and a Spanish-speaking tour emphasizing Latin American and Hispanic artists. Roam There is another tour company outside of Art Walk that offers a Miami Street Art tour.

Local artists lead you by foot or scooter as you learn about how artists have transformed this once-barren warehouse community into an open-air museum. If you can’t find a tour that catches your eye, there’s nothing stopping you from going out and exploring the area yourself.

The Wynwood Walls are at the top of the list for any visit. The exhibit is an open-space gallery devoted to the innovative graffiti and street art movement.

A recent addition to the collection is the “Go! Sticker: An Adhesive Experience” that brings the art of “sticker bombing” to Wynwood. The Go! Shop has even become a permanent member of the Wynwood Walls offering stickers, art-related books and more street art related goodies for sale. It’s groundbreaking to see this street art gain such momentum in the art community.

Kawaii Universe is another unique gallery bringing cute Japanese-infused works of art. Colorful Koi Fish’s cute cupcakes and lively cartoon creatures create an adorable atmosphere like no other. The sticker movement can also be found here with many pieces available for sale as stickers. As an added bonus, Kawaii Universe is currently teaming up with Vita Coco, so be sure to grab a free coconut water when visiting as part of their promotion.

From the wide array of art lining not only the galleries but the streets themselves, to the range of special events and tours Wynwood incorporates into its community, you are sure to have a unique experience when visiting this prominent player in the Miami art world.

The Wynwood Art Walk is located between NE 20th Street and NE 36th Street, and from NW Sixth to NE Second Avenues.
For more information, visit wynwoodmiami.com.
For more information on Roam There Tours, visit roamthere.com.

About Author

Sarah Hall

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...