Art, Edge

Wynwood’s art sticks

Looking to satisfy your creative side this weekend? There’s no better place to visit than the Wynwood Art District. Wynwood is composed of more than 60 galleries showcasing some of the best paintings, photography, sculpture and multimedia. The art isn’t just for inside gallery walls; the whole area has been transformed into one big canvas as street art decorates Wynwood’s blocks.

The monthly Wynwood Art Walk is one of the best times to visit as the community comes together to highlight the local artists, galleries, stores, restaurants and bars that call Wynwood home. The Art Walk takes place the second Saturday of every month and features not only Wynwood staples but includes an array of food trucks and vendors, making the event a must-see experience.

There’s a number of Wynwood Art Walk tours to help you navigate through this creative community including a standard Art Walk tour, an Underground Tour designed to showcase eclectic art-spaces around the area, a 30-minute tour of the Diet Gallery, and a Spanish-speaking tour emphasizing Latin American and Hispanic artists. Roam There is another tour company outside of Art Walk that offers a Miami Street Art tour.

Local artists lead you by foot or scooter as you learn about how artists have transformed this once-barren warehouse community into an open-air museum. If you can’t find a tour that catches your eye, there’s nothing stopping you from going out and exploring the area yourself.

The Wynwood Walls are at the top of the list for any visit. The exhibit is an open-space gallery devoted to the innovative graffiti and street art movement.

A recent addition to the collection is the “Go! Sticker: An Adhesive Experience” that brings the art of “sticker bombing” to Wynwood. The Go! Shop has even become a permanent member of the Wynwood Walls offering stickers, art-related books and more street art related goodies for sale. It’s groundbreaking to see this street art gain such momentum in the art community.

Kawaii Universe is another unique gallery bringing cute Japanese-infused works of art. Colorful Koi Fish’s cute cupcakes and lively cartoon creatures create an adorable atmosphere like no other. The sticker movement can also be found here with many pieces available for sale as stickers. As an added bonus, Kawaii Universe is currently teaming up with Vita Coco, so be sure to grab a free coconut water when visiting as part of their promotion.

From the wide array of art lining not only the galleries but the streets themselves, to the range of special events and tours Wynwood incorporates into its community, you are sure to have a unique experience when visiting this prominent player in the Miami art world.

The Wynwood Art Walk is located between NE 20th Street and NE 36th Street, and from NW Sixth to NE Second Avenues.
For more information, visit wynwoodmiami.com.
For more information on Roam There Tours, visit roamthere.com.

Sarah Hall

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...