Staff Editorial 2/18: YouTube fosters community

On Saturday, several hundred University of Miami students and alumni gathered by the U statue to film their own rendition of the “Harlem Shake,” the song that has inspired many videos on YouTube in the past two weeks.

Within two hours of filming the video, it was uploaded on YouTube and shared on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. UM’s version of the “Harlem Shake” even made its debut on the 11 p.m. NBC 6 South Florida news and has received more than 21,000 views on YouTube.

Though the “Harlem Shake” is now in the limelight, many other videos have gone viral because of YouTube. Recently, “Call Me Maybe” and “Gangnam Style” have been two trending music videos that have received millions of views and national attention.

It is true that many individuals who participate in these videos make fools of themselves just to become YouTube sensations.  But, the truth is, YouTube can make you famous. Justin Bieber and Darren Criss went from YouTube to stardom through the social medium.

Every university is jumping on the “Harlem Shake” bandwagon now in order to feel like they are part of the latest craze. But, this is what YouTube essentially creates – a forum where people can come together, without even knowing each other, just by participating in the same movement.

One Internet site has allowed something in one part of the nation to make its way everywhere else. And, it isn’t just videos of college students dancing around or gathered in a flash mob that spread.

Kony 2012 and Invisible Children were two powerful documentaries that started on YouTube, and many other inspirational and impactful videos have followed.

Many trends come and go, but the YouTube era has remained strong for the past decade. The site continues to positively impact the entertainment industry and bring society together.

Editorials represent the majority view of  The Miami Hurricane editorial board.