News Briefs 2/18

Chinese New Year

The Asian American Students Association and Chinese Students and Scholars Association are hosting the Second Annual Chinese New Year Celebration 7 p.m. Monday. There will be cultural activities, authentic Asian cuisine and performances on the Rock and University Green. The event will celebrate UM’s large Chinese population, while also encouraging others to learn about Chinese culture.

Harlem Shake

Several hundred UM students filmed the “The Official University of Miami Harlem Shake” video Saturday afternoon on the Green. Junior Dan Overstreet and senior Alex Appel organized the creation of the viral video through a Facebook event. Students dressed in eccentric costumes danced around the U statue by the Rock with beach balls, hula hoops, tubas and flags. As of Sunday afternoon, the video has gained more than 21,000 views since it was posted Saturday night. To watch the video, visit youtu.be/L-cmMGqOkvw.

Horizons

Applications to be a 2013 Horizons Counselor are due 5 p.m. Monday in the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs located in the Student Services Building 21-P. Horizons is a preorientation program, and counselors help new students become better acclimated to the campus community. Applicants must sign up for an interview date and time. Interviews will be held between Feb. 25 and March 1. The application can be downloaded at miami.edu/msa. For more information, call Assistant Director Jesse Ford at 305-284-2855.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...