News Briefs 2/18

Chinese New Year

The Asian American Students Association and Chinese Students and Scholars Association are hosting the Second Annual Chinese New Year Celebration 7 p.m. Monday. There will be cultural activities, authentic Asian cuisine and performances on the Rock and University Green. The event will celebrate UM’s large Chinese population, while also encouraging others to learn about Chinese culture.

Harlem Shake

Several hundred UM students filmed the “The Official University of Miami Harlem Shake” video Saturday afternoon on the Green. Junior Dan Overstreet and senior Alex Appel organized the creation of the viral video through a Facebook event. Students dressed in eccentric costumes danced around the U statue by the Rock with beach balls, hula hoops, tubas and flags. As of Sunday afternoon, the video has gained more than 21,000 views since it was posted Saturday night. To watch the video, visit youtu.be/L-cmMGqOkvw.

Horizons

Applications to be a 2013 Horizons Counselor are due 5 p.m. Monday in the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs located in the Student Services Building 21-P. Horizons is a preorientation program, and counselors help new students become better acclimated to the campus community. Applicants must sign up for an interview date and time. Interviews will be held between Feb. 25 and March 1. The application can be downloaded at miami.edu/msa. For more information, call Assistant Director Jesse Ford at 305-284-2855.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...