News Briefs 2/18

Chinese New Year

The Asian American Students Association and Chinese Students and Scholars Association are hosting the Second Annual Chinese New Year Celebration 7 p.m. Monday. There will be cultural activities, authentic Asian cuisine and performances on the Rock and University Green. The event will celebrate UM’s large Chinese population, while also encouraging others to learn about Chinese culture.

Harlem Shake

Several hundred UM students filmed the “The Official University of Miami Harlem Shake” video Saturday afternoon on the Green. Junior Dan Overstreet and senior Alex Appel organized the creation of the viral video through a Facebook event. Students dressed in eccentric costumes danced around the U statue by the Rock with beach balls, hula hoops, tubas and flags. As of Sunday afternoon, the video has gained more than 21,000 views since it was posted Saturday night. To watch the video, visit youtu.be/L-cmMGqOkvw.

Horizons

Applications to be a 2013 Horizons Counselor are due 5 p.m. Monday in the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs located in the Student Services Building 21-P. Horizons is a preorientation program, and counselors help new students become better acclimated to the campus community. Applicants must sign up for an interview date and time. Interviews will be held between Feb. 25 and March 1. The application can be downloaded at miami.edu/msa. For more information, call Assistant Director Jesse Ford at 305-284-2855.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...