Campus Life, News

Taking love to the Web

Recently, many applications and websites encouraging connections and relationships to be formed at one’s convenience have popped up — giving people more options and greater flexibility than ever before.
Facebook Graph
Facebook has been an unofficial matchmaker for years and with its new Graph Search tool, users can extend their search for singles on the network to friends of friends allowing for more options when looking for that special someone.

Bang With Friends
For someone not looking for a commitment of any kind, this website allows users to sort through their list of Facebook friends and select those who catch their fancy. If a user selects a friend who selects them back, both parties will be notified.

What’s Your Price
The world’s only dating-auction website allows members to bid on first dates and has received quite a bit of attention due to the 369,282 first-date offers made in the four weeks preceding Valentine’s Day for an average price of $131.70.

Singles Around Me
This social discovery app shows single people in the area. When a user finds someone of interest, he or she can message, flirt and form a relationship. Users can be mobile and meet people while out and about rather than behind a computer screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...

Nine Hurricanes were named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-ACC Teams, including a conference-leading ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...