Campus Life, News

Taking love to the Web

Recently, many applications and websites encouraging connections and relationships to be formed at one’s convenience have popped up — giving people more options and greater flexibility than ever before.
Facebook Graph
Facebook has been an unofficial matchmaker for years and with its new Graph Search tool, users can extend their search for singles on the network to friends of friends allowing for more options when looking for that special someone.

Bang With Friends
For someone not looking for a commitment of any kind, this website allows users to sort through their list of Facebook friends and select those who catch their fancy. If a user selects a friend who selects them back, both parties will be notified.

What’s Your Price
The world’s only dating-auction website allows members to bid on first dates and has received quite a bit of attention due to the 369,282 first-date offers made in the four weeks preceding Valentine’s Day for an average price of $131.70.

Singles Around Me
This social discovery app shows single people in the area. When a user finds someone of interest, he or she can message, flirt and form a relationship. Users can be mobile and meet people while out and about rather than behind a computer screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...