Campus Life, News

Taking love to the Web

Recently, many applications and websites encouraging connections and relationships to be formed at one’s convenience have popped up — giving people more options and greater flexibility than ever before.
Facebook Graph
Facebook has been an unofficial matchmaker for years and with its new Graph Search tool, users can extend their search for singles on the network to friends of friends allowing for more options when looking for that special someone.

Bang With Friends
For someone not looking for a commitment of any kind, this website allows users to sort through their list of Facebook friends and select those who catch their fancy. If a user selects a friend who selects them back, both parties will be notified.

What’s Your Price
The world’s only dating-auction website allows members to bid on first dates and has received quite a bit of attention due to the 369,282 first-date offers made in the four weeks preceding Valentine’s Day for an average price of $131.70.

Singles Around Me
This social discovery app shows single people in the area. When a user finds someone of interest, he or she can message, flirt and form a relationship. Users can be mobile and meet people while out and about rather than behind a computer screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...