Valentine’s plans set tone for love

There is nothing a guy wants more than to pronounce how much he cares for his girlfriend by standing in front of people with an unhealthy amount of chocolates and an 8-foot teddy bear while she runs toward him screaming like a 14-year-old Justin Bieber fan.

This is an obligation that every guy must fulfill on Valentine’s Day.

Unless you are a hopeless romantic character from a ‘90s movie or Ted Mosby from “How I Met Your Mother,” Valentine’s Day can seem like a chore for most college men.  Most of us have an ego big enough to chase multiple women and wear an Ed Hardy shirt on Friday nights.

The last thing we want to do is express our feelings to a girl. We would rather be fist pumping.

We men are basic primal creatures, and therefore, it can be difficult for us to grasp the concept of planning an event to make another person happy. But, most of us guys are able to pull it together and have a successful day.

All we have to do is walk into a Walgreens or CVS and they have a step-by-step plan. They have the cheesy cards, the chocolate heart boxes, and then we pick up a Red Lobster gift card at the cash register.

I mean, there is nothing more romantic than buying gifts for your significant other at a mainstream drug store where you can also purchase energy drinks and laxatives.

Now, some men are lucky enough to be with a girl they actually want to do something special for. These are the guys that will wear matching sweatpants to class with their girlfriend and have date nights that do not consist of froyo and Netflix. For these guys, Valentine’s Day could actually be something enjoyable. These are the guys that are not faking the smile on their faces when they pick up the $80 check on Valentine’s Eve.

If you are a guy under the spell of some seductive princess, plan her a sweet day. But don’t go overboard. There’s nothing more pathetic than a guy bowing down to a girl and attending to her every need.

What occurs on Valentine’s Day will up the level of the relationship a few notches or have it come to a screeching halt. Guys know this. Whatever we plan is precisely thought out and its effects are usually what the man wants to happen.

Men have been scheming to get girls since they wore light-up sneakers. By now we have some experience and a little skill. Plan accordingly, men.

Kyle Rambo is a junior majoring in education. 

Kyle Rambo

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...