Out of time for Valentine’s Day

It’s a month into the semester and we’re all busy. No one blames you. But even if you forget Thursday is Valentine’s Day, it isn’t too late to pull out all the last-minute stops. Just pretend you wanted to celebrate this weekend and make it a date night.

Here are five suggestions for wooing your lover this Valentine’s Day weekend.

1. A sunset picnic at Alice C. Wainwright Park 

If you’re both broke and can’t afford a night out, the park is the perfect spot for a romantic afternoon delight. Pack a blanket, some Publix subs, strawberries and a cheap bottle of champagne to wow your significant other.

Overlooking Biscayne Bay, the park is just next door to Viscaya Museum and Gardens. As long as you remember early enough in the day, you can still pull this off for sunset on Valentine’s Day. Just remember, you’re out in public, so keep it PG-13.

Alice C. Wainwright Park is located at 2845 Brickell Ave., Miami. 

2. Jamming with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals 

If you’re looking for an upbeat night out (and to cover up why you have nothing planned for Thursday), the Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are having a concert at the Fillmore on Saturday and it isn’t sold out yet. The show is general admission, and tickets are $38.50 each online.

Before the show, grab a bite at Pizza Rustica right up the road on Lincoln Road. Slices are huge and range between $3 to $4.95 – a relief after spending nearly $80 on concert tickets. All pizza is warmed in the oven before it’s served, and you can be in and out in less than half an hour if you’re in a rush.

The Fillmore is located at 1700 Washington Ave., Miami Beach. Pizza Rustica is located at 667 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach.

3. Sharing milkshakes at Johnny Rockets then watching a movie at Paragon

Feeling more traditional? Grab burgers and split a milkshake like Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson in “Grease” at Johnny Rockets in Coconut Grove. Then make your way across the street and catch a romantic movie, whether Nicholas Sparks’ “Safe Haven” or rom-com-zom “Warm Bodies” perfect for the couples who can’t quite stomach the heavy doses of romance. Best of all, the theater sells wine so you can make sure the night feels like a proper date night.

Johnny Rockets is located at 3036 Grand Ave., Miami. 

4. Dinner at Joe’s Stone Crab and a walk on the beach

Nothing says romance like a crab bib and a shell bucket. But seriously, Joe’s is the place to be if you’re looking for a place that makes you feel swanky and comfortable. Take a “last supper” approach to this meal and really treat yourself. Start with an order of the legendary fried chicken, without telling your date that it’s only $6. Indulge in a heaping platter of stone crab claws just asking to be drowned in butter. Don’t even think about asking for the check before you each consume the best slice of key lime pie in South Florida. If you’ve got money to blow and don’t mind a wait, head to Joe’s this Valentine’s Day. She’ll feel the love.

Joe’s Stone Crab is located at 11 Washington Ave., Miami Beach.

5. Cook dinner (or order in) and play video games

Stay in for the night and cook dinner for the two of you. For more time with your partner, make a low-key meal, like pasta with meat sauce and a bottle of red wine. Or order take out, and you can play video games while you’re waiting for the food to be delivered. Pull out your old Nintendo 64 and stick in Mario Kart for a friendly race with Mario and Kirby down memory lane. To make it a little more exciting, turn it into a game of strip Mario Kart. Every race lost means another piece of clothing on the floor.