Congress needs to grow up

Congress has finally reached a decision on the fiscal cliff, but the way in which the decision was made disturbed me. Are these really adults? Because the way that they were behaving was reminiscent of high school behavior.

The Republicans and Democrats are drifting further from the middle and closer to the extremes of each party. Some Congress members have forgotten that their jobs are not to cling so stubbornly to their party’s ideology that it renders them ineffective.

They are supposed to function as a voice for the people who elected them; the people who placed their trust in them to represent their interests to the best of their abilities. If that means reaching across the aisle once in a while in order to pass a bipartisan and well-thought-out piece of legislation, then so be it.

Our Congress should not be this dysfunctional. No government is perfect, but something has got to give. We may have passed legislation to avoid the fiscal cliff, but we still have upcoming battles on the debt ceiling and the stopgap measure. We cannot keep putting Band-Aids on situations that may actually require surgery.

We cannot keep using short-term solutions that appear to fix the situation now only to set the stage for more of the same debates down the road.

Enough is enough.

Members of Congress should go back to grade school where team work, cooperation and manners are taught. You know, things you think reasonable adults would understand by now. If the members of Congress refuse to learn how to get along then we only have one alternative: Vote them out and send new people to Capitol Hill, people who may actually do their jobs.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics. 

Taylor Duckett

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...