Basketball, Sports

Canes take Carolina by heels in win

Photos by: Zach Beeker

Miami turned a conference challenge into a carnival on Saturday afternoon, demolishing North Carolina by 26 points as the Hurricanes’ ACC crusade reached historic new heights in front of a sold out crowd at the BankUnited Center.

Sophomore Shane Larkin led a fearless group of red-hot shooters to an 87-61 rout Saturday afternoon that lifted Miami’s winning streak to 11, its conference record to 10-0, and its ranking to an all-time high.

“When you shoot like that, I think we’re one of the better teams in the country,” Larkin said. “Tonight was just one of those nights when everything was going in.”

The Canes built a double-digit lead early on, scoring the first nine points of the game and nailing a flurry of 3-pointers. Miami (19-3) hit 10 from beyond the arc before halftime, including four from Larkin.

By the final buzzer, the Hurricanes tied a school record with 15 3-pointers and a remarkable 13-for-19 long-range display from their five starters.

“All of a sudden they started making every shot,” Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said. “A lot of teams couldn’t stand out there with no defense on the court and make 15 out of 26.”

Miami shut down Carolina’s vaunted offense, which ranked third in the nation with 79.1 points per game. James Michael McAdoo leads the Tar Heels (16-7, 6-4 ACC) in scoring with 14.9 per game, but he managed just six points on 3-of-12 shooting.

Hurricanes center Julian Gamble tallied four blocks and remained out of foul trouble as the anchor of a Miami defense that kept North Carolina off the free-throw line until well into the second half.

“It’s crazy,” said senior guard Durand Scott, who scored 17 points. “I see how great of a team we can be. We’re just rolling.”

Saturday was the kind of thrilling performance that brought another capacity crowd to its feet, which included Miami Heat superstars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and former Hurricane James Jones. After Larkin’s alley-oop off the backboard to a trailing senior forward/center Kenny Kadji, even James and Wade leapt out of their courtside seats.

“It’s a great feeling knowing that people at that level actually realize what you’re doing down here,” said Larkin, who finished with a team-high 18 points and nine assists. “Even though they’re on the professional level, they still have enough respect to come watch college kids.”

Miami set a school record for ACC victories in a season – and there are eight games left on the schedule. The Canes’ stellar play on the road led them to a No. 8 AP ranking a week ago, and two blowout home wins almost guarantee that Miami will climb into the top five for the first time in program history.

No. 1 Indiana, No. 2 Florida, No. 3 Michigan and No. 5 Kansas each suffered losses to unranked opponents over the last week. While the polls have reflected a large degree of instability this year – the top-ranked team has fallen in five consecutive weeks – Miami has been a model for consistency.

“The guys just never let up,” head coach Jim Larranaga said. “And that is the mark of a good team.”

The Canes travel to Tallahassee for a 7 p.m. meeting with the Seminoles on Wednesday, and will then head to Clemson for a Sunday matchup that tips off at 6 p.m.

Spencer Dandes

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...