Campus Life, News

Campus hangout celebrates 40th birthday

Some might balk at the thought of turning 40, but not UM’s Rathskeller. Its birthday on Monday will give the restaurant the chance to do what it does best — host UM students and employees for food and fun in the sun.

On Feb. 11, 1973, the Rat opened for business. Fast-forward 40 years and students and others are still enjoying the same atmosphere – gliders, food and friends – that has defined the popular campus hangout throughout its existence.

Rathskeller Advisory Board (RAB) Chair Demi Halmoukos views the anniversary celebration as both a milestone and a transition point in the Rat’s history.

“This is the last birthday and one of the last big events in this location,” Halmoukos said. “The next birthday will be in our new location in the Student Activities Center. This is a way to enjoy and say goodbye to the temporary location and prepare for the new one.”

Students expressed similar sentiments of excitement.

“I’m so excited about the Rat’s birthday and all of the events coming up,” sophomore Maty Beraja said. “Not only do I get to support my friends that promote it on the RAB, but I also get to celebrate the anniversary of my favorite campus hangout.”

According to Halmoukos, RAB works hard to host events. It is in charge of all programming that takes place at the Rat.

“The best reward of our hard work is seeing students enjoying the events that we put on,” she said.

Halmoukos and the other members of the RAB have packed the Rat’s calendar to ensure that February will be no exception.

When the Rat moves to its new and bigger home in the SAC, Halmoukos foresees the return of many events that were popular at the Rat’s former location on the lake. For example, the old Rat used to host “belly busts,” where big-name comedians would come, according to Halmoukos.

“It’s been hard with this current location. It doesn’t have the capability for those larger events,” she said. “In the new location, we can go back to some of the events that people enjoyed before … it is such an amazing building. We want to take advantage of all the new amenities that it has.”

Wherever its location, the most important thing is that the Rat remains a special place for students to go, Halmoukos said.

“They know their friends will be there and they can go and relax after class and get connected after a long week of work,” she said.

Skylar Frisch

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Campus hangout celebrates 40th birthday”

1. Steve says:

When will the Rat move in and open for business in the SAC?

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...