Edge, Movies, Reviews

Silver Lining Playbook highlights dynamic Cooper, Lawrence

Before I start, I want to throw out there that Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were phenomenal. Two actors that recently exploded in popularity for blockbuster films were able to expertly capture the smaller-budget indie flick, in which they were both type-cast completely different roles than what one would usually expect.

Both were also able to be extremely good-looking, despite their mental instability.

Silver Linings Playbook expertly portrayed the family and social struggles of mental illness, and the instability in one’s own head to make sense of their own thoughts. Pat (Cooper) and Tiffany (Lawrence) meet in an awkward and unlikely dinner party, upon which they immediately insult each others’ problems and hate each other. Pat, who is under a restraining order by his wife after beating up a man she had an affair with, looks on the bright side of his condition and tries to find the “silver lining” in every sitation. Tiffany is more pessimistic, though grows fond of Pat.

The story is seemingly about Pat’s recovery and obsession for his lost love Nikki, whom his peers believe to hate him and imply that he should move on. Her name is constantly tossed around during the movie, and Tiffany has a connection to her that Pat tries to exploit, only to make for a more difficult situation at the end of the film in which the audience doesn’t know which girl he chooses.

Somewhat predictably, Pat makes promises to both his father (Robert de Niro) and to Tiffany to help them with the superstition of winning the Philadelphia Eagles game and participating in a dance competition; their respective passions. Throughout the movie, Pat grows beyond the script so that the ending is expected, but delivered in a surprising way. Those analyzing the movie will watch his growth, though Pat learns to hide his feelings rather than to let them control him through rage.

Silver Linings Playbook outlines the family and social struggles than many people suffer through, along with the individual and mental problems that plague every one of us.

I’d make this the second best movie I’ve seen in 2012, only behind Argo.

Alexa Pappas

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

Miami fell behind early and could not recover Sunday afternoon, falling in the series finale to host ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...