Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch leaving Miami

Over the last 12 years, coach Nicole Lantagne Welch revived the Miami volleyball team and posted a winning season in 10 of those years.

She also led the Canes to the NCAA Tournament five times, including the past four.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lantagne Welch accepted the head coaching position at UC Santa Barbara. She will replace former coach Kathy Gregory, who retired after 38 years as the Guacho’s coach.

Lantagne Welch enjoyed a flurry of success while she was with the Hurricanes. She ended her coaching career in Miami with a 243-120 record, and the team reached 20 total wins on six occasions.

During the 2012 season she set a school record with 17 ACC wins, just one win shy of picking up the ACC title. Her team also defeated a top 10 team with a season opening conference win against No. 6 Florida State. The Canes were ranked in the top 25 on five different occasions.

According to hurricanesports.com, the national search for Lantagne Welch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...