Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch leaving Miami

Over the last 12 years, coach Nicole Lantagne Welch revived the Miami volleyball team and posted a winning season in 10 of those years.

She also led the Canes to the NCAA Tournament five times, including the past four.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lantagne Welch accepted the head coaching position at UC Santa Barbara. She will replace former coach Kathy Gregory, who retired after 38 years as the Guacho’s coach.

Lantagne Welch enjoyed a flurry of success while she was with the Hurricanes. She ended her coaching career in Miami with a 243-120 record, and the team reached 20 total wins on six occasions.

During the 2012 season she set a school record with 17 ACC wins, just one win shy of picking up the ACC title. Her team also defeated a top 10 team with a season opening conference win against No. 6 Florida State. The Canes were ranked in the top 25 on five different occasions.

According to hurricanesports.com, the national search for Lantagne Welch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...