Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch leaving Miami

Over the last 12 years, coach Nicole Lantagne Welch revived the Miami volleyball team and posted a winning season in 10 of those years.

She also led the Canes to the NCAA Tournament five times, including the past four.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lantagne Welch accepted the head coaching position at UC Santa Barbara. She will replace former coach Kathy Gregory, who retired after 38 years as the Guacho’s coach.

Lantagne Welch enjoyed a flurry of success while she was with the Hurricanes. She ended her coaching career in Miami with a 243-120 record, and the team reached 20 total wins on six occasions.

During the 2012 season she set a school record with 17 ACC wins, just one win shy of picking up the ACC title. Her team also defeated a top 10 team with a season opening conference win against No. 6 Florida State. The Canes were ranked in the top 25 on five different occasions.

According to hurricanesports.com, the national search for Lantagne Welch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...