Edge, Food

Trendy bar makes homemade cocktails

When you’re fed up with the Grove, don’t want to deal with Wynwood’s pretentious hipsters, and can’t stand the grimy club rats in South Beach, where are you supposed to go?

The Broken Shaker in the Freehand Miami Hostel is the answer to your problems. The intimate bar prides itself on its specialty cocktails, made from locally grown fruits as well as herbs and spices straight from the Broken Shaker’s garden.

“It’s our passion,” co-owner Gabriel Orta said. “We were first a pop-up and after we saw how everyone embraced it and how big of a success it was, we decided to settle down at the unique location.”

The cocktail menu is always changing according to what is growing in the garden. Recent drink options have included the Midwestern Old Fashioned – made with apple, cinnamon, Old Forester Bourbon and walnut bitters – and the Clover Club – a mix of homemade raspberry syrup, fresh lemon juice, egg whites and Bombay dry gin.

“We always bring something new to the table,” Orta said.

But it isn’t just the cocktails that make the Broken Shaker worth a visit. With both indoor and outdoor seating, the laid-back bar offers plenty of entertainment. You and a buddy can have a blast from the past with a round of Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots, or a game of table tennis in the courtyard if you’re feeling up to it. For the more low-key groups, start up a game of Jenga, and hope you can still see straight enough to play.

In the spirit of keeping things different, the bar will soon have cocktails on tap and begin serving food.

The bar also serves beer. Prices range from $3 for some beers to $11 for mixed drinks.

If You Go:

What: The Broken Shaker

Where: 2727 Indian Creek Drive, Miami Beach

Open from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. on weekdays, 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. on weekends

Frank Malvar

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...