Edge, Food

Trendy bar makes homemade cocktails

When you’re fed up with the Grove, don’t want to deal with Wynwood’s pretentious hipsters, and can’t stand the grimy club rats in South Beach, where are you supposed to go?

The Broken Shaker in the Freehand Miami Hostel is the answer to your problems. The intimate bar prides itself on its specialty cocktails, made from locally grown fruits as well as herbs and spices straight from the Broken Shaker’s garden.

“It’s our passion,” co-owner Gabriel Orta said. “We were first a pop-up and after we saw how everyone embraced it and how big of a success it was, we decided to settle down at the unique location.”

The cocktail menu is always changing according to what is growing in the garden. Recent drink options have included the Midwestern Old Fashioned – made with apple, cinnamon, Old Forester Bourbon and walnut bitters – and the Clover Club – a mix of homemade raspberry syrup, fresh lemon juice, egg whites and Bombay dry gin.

“We always bring something new to the table,” Orta said.

But it isn’t just the cocktails that make the Broken Shaker worth a visit. With both indoor and outdoor seating, the laid-back bar offers plenty of entertainment. You and a buddy can have a blast from the past with a round of Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots, or a game of table tennis in the courtyard if you’re feeling up to it. For the more low-key groups, start up a game of Jenga, and hope you can still see straight enough to play.

In the spirit of keeping things different, the bar will soon have cocktails on tap and begin serving food.

The bar also serves beer. Prices range from $3 for some beers to $11 for mixed drinks.

If You Go:

What: The Broken Shaker

Where: 2727 Indian Creek Drive, Miami Beach

Open from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. on weekdays, 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. on weekends

Frank Malvar

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...