Staff Editorial 2/7: Disabilities don’t derail drive

Recently, the Department of Education modified its guidelines for the treatment of disabled athletes in elementary, middle and high school. Under this ratified policy, athletes unable to play a sport due to a physical impairment may now be able to.

According to an article published in the Chronicle of Higher Education, the new policy will “accommodate certain students, as long as those changes don’t fundamentally alter the way sports are played.”

With these changes being made in kindergarten through 12th grade, the Office for Civil Rights has suggested that it could lead to a possible change to athletics in higher education. This would not happen overnight, but if disabled students are able to play the sport, nothing should hinder that.

The Department of Education defines a disability as someone who has a “physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a record of such an impairment or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

These terms are extremely broad. It is understandable that being confined to a wheelchair would restrict someone from playing a competitive sport at the collegiate level. However, other disabilities are deemed as making an athlete “unable to play” when that isn’t the case.

Jim Abbott is an example of a “disabled” athlete who defied the term. Though Abbott was born without his right hand, he decided to pursue baseball and ended up in the MLB. He also pitched for the gold medal Olympic team in 1988.

If a man without a hand can pitch in the MLB, then why can’t other “disabled” athletes be given a chance at their sport of choice?

Handicapped athletes are seen as inferior and are not given equal opportunities. Dividing athletes based on “able-bodied” and “disabled” is unacceptable.

Having the ability to play a sport comes with practice. Disabled athletes can overcome barriers with proper training. For those who are unable to due to extreme limitations, schools should offer programs where these athletes can find other ways to exert their skills.

The term “disability” has been defined by society. We have made it OK to outcast individuals who are impaired when their impairments do not restrict their abilities. A disability becomes a problem in sports when there are regulations against them.

But, a limitation should not preclude participation – not in grade school or in collegiate sports. Disabled athletes have allowed rules to inhibit them from pursuing a passion. But as the saying goes, “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.”

Your disabilities should never define you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 2/7: Disabilities don’t derail drive”

1. ActivePolicySolutions says:

“This is a landmark moment for students with disabilities. This will do for students with disabilities what Title IX did for women.” – Terri Lakowski

Please refer to our website for updates and analysis http://www.activepolicysolutions.com

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...