Academics, News

Law School offers ninth joint degree program

University of Miami’s School of Law unveiled its newest joint degree, a J.D./Ph.D in Environmental Science and Policy, last week.

Dale Jamieson, director of environmental studies and affiliated professor of law at New York University, delivered the inaugural lecture last Monday to an eager audience of academics, undergraduates and law students in the law school’s fourth-floor faculty room.

Jamieson explained how the unlikely compatibility of law and science can address one of society’s most pressing hot-button issues: the environment.

“Law is from Mars; science is from Venus,” Jamieson said. “While good science produces uncertainty, good law resolves it. There is uncertainty in the scientific figures and what they mean, but as lawyers, we know the strategic use of uncertainty can be to our advantage.”

Following Stanford University and the University of Colorado, UM is the third school in the nation to offer a doctoral degree in environmental science and policy alongside the juris doctor degree.

The joint degree caters to those looking to pursue careers in environmental policy, science, law or government.

UM senior Julie Sanders, who is majoring in chemistry and marine science, attended the lecture to learn about alternative career paths in science.

“As a science double major, I’ve had a ton of research internships,” she said.“I know I don’t want to be a researcher, but want to stay within the realm. This is very promising.”

The degree will be offered as an interdisciplinary program between the School of Law and the Abess Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy. Over the course of six years, students will spend the first studying law, and the remaining five split between law and environmental courses. Students will need to complete and defend a doctoral dissertation to graduate.

The J.D./Ph.D in Environmental Science and Policy is one of nine joint degree programs offered at the law school. Of the nine programs, seven have been implemented in the last three years.

Last semester, the J.D/M.A in Presenting & Live Entertainment Management was added. Other recent joint programs include the J.D./M.D. in Medicine, J.D./M.P.A. in Public Administration and J.D/M.A in Communications.

Sandy Abraham, executive liaison for interdisciplinary programs at the law school, explains specialized degrees are becoming more popular than the sole J.D. program.

“As witnessed by the three-fold increase in participation, from about 30 students a year in joint degrees to over 90 now, the student interest in pursuing these opportunities is there,” Abraham said.

Abraham expects several more joint degree programs to be added over the next year. However, she said that she could not disclose more information at this time.

Jess Swanson

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...